Getting rid of smell from sink drain?

netlaJune 29, 2006

My kitchen smells like a mixture of sour milk and rotten vegetables. The smell is coming from the sink drain. I've tried methods that worked in the past, like pouring boiling water down the drain, running the tap for a long time, a vinegar and baking soda rinse, and an overnight chlorine treatment. It's not working. Whan can I do to get rid of the smell? Is the stuff you use to unblock blocked drains good for cleaning away the stuff that is making the stink?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grindel

Do you have a garbage disposal? Are you on a septic system? I'm sorry I wasn't much help, but knowing all the details might help someone to solve your problem.

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 1:13PM
dirtdivarocks

If you have a garbage disposal, toss a lemon down the drain and grind.

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 9:51PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Pull the rubber gasket out and wash it off. That is where most of the smell comes from. Gunk splashes up on the underside of the black drain cover and sits there rotting and reaking.

Bookmark   June 30, 2006 at 2:41AM
netla

I don't have a waste disposal and it's not a septic tank system, but the plumbing in the house is rather old (dating back to the sixties, I think). I was thinking about removing all the plastic pipes under the sink and washing them, but I want to se if I can do it in an easier way first.

Bookmark   June 30, 2006 at 4:45AM
elphinstone

Try pouring some bleach down the drains, about a half a cup, let it sit awhile and then flush with hot water. I had some simular troubles years ago and a plumber told me about the bleach trick, he also said I should run hot water down all my drains for about 3 minutes a week to keep the gunk from building up.

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 1:03PM
netla

Thnaks for the suggestion. I repeated the baking soda and vinegar rinse, then let some chlorine stand in the drain over night and washed it away by running the hot tap for about 10 minutes. It worked this time. There must have been too much gunk down there for the previous treatment to remove everything.

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 5:12AM
mikie_gw

I had the same thing going on for a long time until i discovered I had a leaky pipe leaking into the wall. Had to Unsolder and replaced the pipe into the vent pipe to fix it and then went ahead and replaced everything down there.

Hasn't had the recurring smell since.

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 6:39PM
dotcom2000

Don't dump sour milk and moldy food from fridge down your drain or garbage disposal. Flush down toliet instead.

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
Sponsored Products
Eleele Hand-Crafted Peach Marble Table Lamp
$40.00 | Lamps Plus
Vintage Kilim Pillow
| Dot & Bo
Worlds Away - Pagoda 2 Drawer Chest In Navy Lacquer - PAGODA NVY
Great Furniture Deal
Kraus Bathroom Combo Set Clear Brown Glass Vessel Sink/Faucet
Overstock.com
Razzle Dazzle Cheesecake - N/A
$58.00 | Horchow
Graysen Single-Hole Waterfall Faucet with Pop-Up Drain
Signature Hardware
Divine Designs Encased Outdoor Pillow - 20L x 20W in. - Yellow / Lime Multicolor
$64.99 | Hayneedle
LZF | Chou Suspension Light - Short
YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™