cigarette smell in foam cushions/covers

riverview111June 5, 2005

We bought an old RV, and are fixing up the inside. The cushions just reek of old cigarette smoke. The cushion covers are removable. Is there any way to get the smell out of the foam rubber and covers? I could wash the covers with bleach, which would go a long way (worked on the curtains) but the foam rubber I'm not sure about. I suppose I could try pressure washing it with detergent, maybe with a little bleach added...Any tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chinacat_sunflower

if the foam is original (ie more than 10 years old) I'd consider replacing it alltogether...it does degrade with time (the older stuff more than modern foams) and washing it might well destroy them...

otherwise, sunlight and fresh air are the best deodorants, so I'd just leave them outside for a week, and see if that helped.

washing any fabric does help, and I've found that the orange-oil based cleaners, maybe boosted with a dash of TSP (a degreaser) do a fairly good job of cutting that film on panelling, and the like.

any carpetting is going to be a pest as well (blech!) but shampooing it will help a lot :)

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 1:49PM
petaloid

Febreze spray may help reduce the odors in the cushions.

There are fabric stores that sell foam rubber in various thicknesses that can be cut to fit for replacements.

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 9:39PM
lazy_gardens

Replace the foam ... it's not worth the effort to try to get decades fo ciggy smoke out of it.

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 9:58AM
riverview111

Thanks, everyone. Dh will give them a shot with OilEater, in the pressure washer, leave them out in the sun, and if that doesn't work we'll replace them.

Otherwise, the trailer smells great, now. I painted every square inch after wiping with 409. DH put in a new floor and got all the appliances working again. We're almost ready to roll.

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 6:27PM
odorguy

We've had a lot of inquires into a product called Vamoose 1808T that we sell into the Hospitality market. The product is very effective at permanently eliminating all tobacco odors including and especially cigarette odor. The product works in all types of environments including vehicles, homes, apartments, RV's, and on all types of fabrics found in them. Due to the number of inquires we have set-up a storefront on eBay but feel free to contact us as well. Our e-mail is sales@hillcountrydistribution.com and our phone number is (512) 784-4024. Leave a message if you get our voicemail.

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 5:13PM
DARLENE_TN

I use vinegar! It kills the smoke immediately! Just put white vinegar in a spray bottle. take the cushions out doors and spray them good. no your cushions won't smell like vinegar forever!! just about 1 hr or so!!
Darlene

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™