Can a scratched stainless steel appliance ever be repaired?

terrificcleanerMay 26, 2007

Hey everybody!

I cant believe I didnt know about this forum until tonight.

I have a question, though! I have 2 new clients who I have just taken on and their stainless steel appliances are so badly scratched that I dont know what to use on them. I used the Zep stainless steel cleaner but to no avail.

Thanks in advance!

Terrific

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimcoco

I have no idea, but if you find something that works, please post it here. I also have a scratch in my stainless that I don't know how to get rid of.

I did find some interesting links that I've posted here, but I've never personally tried them myself.

http://www.finishing.com/4000-4199/4148.shtml

http://www.selectappliance.com/exec/ce-product/rs_wssbgh8c

http://ask.metafilter.com/33604/How-do-I-remove-scratches-from-stainless-steel

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 4:05AM
krissie55

Scratches will not be removed via cleaning, they are etched into the metal and will stay until buffed out by a professional.

As far as cleaning, try using WD40. I used WD40 on our son's brushed stainless steel refrigerator and it cleaned beautifully. Be sure and polish with a dry cloth after cleaning. Our young grandchildren's little dirty hands had left a lot of fingerprints and food fused to the frig.

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 1:39PM
kimcoco

I just wonder how safe it is to use WD40 on a refrigerator (close to food) and also if children will be touching the surface, I wiould assume there would be some kind of chemical residue left behind. Did you look at the warnings on the bottle?

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 1:43PM
stanlie_gw

I have clients with scratched stainless appliances. No regular cleaning methods work. And Im not about to try something off the wall on somebody elses stuff. I tell them to have them professionally buffed out.

I havent tried Wd40 yet but Ive found that anything oily does a good job. So if youre concerned I would switch to olive oil or mineral oil or something else food safe.

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 4:41PM
mrsd1957

I read an AMA journal press release not too long ago that stated "minute particles of mineral oil stick to the lungs when ingested". I no longer use it on anything connected with food preparation or where others hands will come in constant contact. And doctors are still telling parents to give it to their children as a laxative.

Bookmark   May 30, 2007 at 8:41AM
albert_135

I have removed scratches from a stainless steel sink with automotive emery cloth.

The natural surface of the sink was "brushed". I got it at an odd lot sale for a couple of bucks so I could do not harm. Just went the the auto refinishing dept and got some really fine stuff and brushed it furiously for quite some time.

Bookmark   May 30, 2007 at 1:36PM
kimcoco

mrsd1957, try www.ewg.org for info on household products and chemicals and the effects on your health. Great website.

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 1:49PM
amoonfyre

i posted in another forum but the answer now is yes.

www.scratch-b-gone.com. the product is called scratch-b-Gone...we used it on our stove and bbq top... it was amazing. and its non toxic for the kids too.

Good luck!

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
onions on wood cutting board odor removal?
I tried searching and haven't seen this-- We use a...
sheilaaus122
Removing Stains Caused by Stain Removers - Carpet
Hi all, What's the best way to remove stains on a Sofa,...
afrolawnmower
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Pine Sol Original Has Changed For The Worst
Im a 47 yo male, have been a neat clean guy all my...
northwoods
Sponsored Products
Numbers LED Alarm Clock by Areaware
$84.00 | Lumens
Set of 2 Zuo Pori Iron Gray Arm Chairs
Euro Style Lighting
Fuschia Flower Flex Turner
$8.99 | zulily
16" Round Basalt Stone Concrete Look Vessel Sink - RONDO
Living'ROC
Garden Hand Cultivator
$19.50 | FRONTGATE
Man Law Premium Wood BBQ Tools - Set of 5 - MAN-H1
$79.99 | Hayneedle
LED Energy Efficient Black 6" High Outdoor Wall Light
$64.99 | Lamps Plus
Lithonia Lighting 4-Light White Multi-Volt Fluorescent Tandem Strip Light TC 2 3
$45.73 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™