What size lighting?

HomeblessingsMarch 31, 2014

I'm curious what size lighting you are purchasing for your homes particulary ceiling fixtures in large bedrooms/livingrooms. The formula seems to be add the width and the length of the room together and that will equal the diameter in inches for the fixture. This gives me some really big fixtures 26"-32". It is hard to find ceiling fixtures over 18" in width, especially reasonablely priced ones. Is everyone following these rules? Would a 16" or 18" ceiling fixture look super small and out of poportion in a 16X14 or a 13 X15 sq ft room? Our ceiling height is 10 feet on 1st floor, and 9 ft on 2nd floor. If you have any pictures of rooms with the dimensions and light fixtures I'd love to see them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redheadeddaughter

I think alot of it depends on your style. I've heard that rule also, and personally think it's silly. Most large rooms need more than 1 light fixture anyway. For a great room, 2 or 3 smaller fixtures lined up with the furniture placement (sofa, dining table, etc.) works much better. But I'm not sure that is a cost saving measure. For bedrooms and family rooms, I still like a smaller fixture and sconces. It's just cozy. Some people like to use alot of recessed lighting instead of large expensive chandeliers. Kitchens are a whole different category and I'm still struggling with that one. I love the look of some large fixtures as focal points (large lanterns in an entry for example), but often I find them to be ostentatious if they are too large.

Although, take my thoughts with a grain of salt... I'll walk into a decorated Restoration Hardware with their ginormous lights and come home ready to fit them in our build! They do look awfully cool. But I've seen lovely homes do a more understated approach to good lighting with great results, and that is what I'm hoping to mimic.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Window Trim
I found the attached picture, and like the window trim...
burbmomoftwo
5 panel interior doors
I love this door. I have Trustile- 2 panel, in my present...
ILoveRed
Spray Foam in Roof Rafters - Not Sure if it will Help
So my builder wants to spray foam all the rafters in...
TonySak
Need feedback on framing layout for a basement.
I'm in the process of finalizing a plan for the basement...
julianpowers
Should I add a window in the dining room?
We are going to have a long narrow dining room, husband...
Bridget Howe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™