Does this look right to you? New tub drain cover

SparklingWaterApril 6, 2012

Hi. My plumber installed this new hair catcher tub drain cover yesterday. Does this look right to you? Why is there a depressed rim in the cover for water to pool? Is it upside down? Won't my hard water pool even outside this new cover due to an uphill climb? Surprised too about those brown marks since this is brand new from him.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

I think a larger picture will help. I typically add my photos to Photobucket and have the resolution something like 400x600. Try that so we can see the details.
Thanks.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 4:33PM
SparklingWater

Thanks.

Brand new hair catcher over new drain pipe chosen by plumber. Old hair catcher drain cover was concave, to allow water in. This one appears to have a recessed rim (the brown gooky area) and then it does have a rising edge of 3 to 4 mm prior to the holes. Just refinished cast iron tub after 20 years of waiting. Hard water. How will water not collect in the recesses rim upon draining and eventually deposit/rust? When the tub empties, do you think the water will climb from the recess up the stainless and into the holes?

Why do they make drain covers like this? What am I missing here? Why not always a concave design?

I don't want water damage promoted on this new tub because of a newly chosen drain pipe that requires a convex hair catcher cover. Flummoxed.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 6:07PM
GreenDesigns

Any tub that can't handle a bit of water isn't gonna be long for looking "refinished". Most people don't have much luck with having the cast iron painted "refinished" and lasting more than a couple of years.

Yes, it's installed correctly, but it's not a design I care for.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 7:16PM
SparklingWater

Point taken. 100% improvement over what was there before though. Five year warranty of repair.

It's equalizing the surface character through the acid wash, not just the painting. This company really works the work.

No need to chase hard water trouble: I'll keep searching for a hair catcher drain cover which is concave, not convex.

Thanks.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
The towel ring and the towel bar
The last bit for my bathroom arrived today, a hand...
Linelle
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
recommend sink for combo powder/bath
am planning combo laundry/half bath. side by side washer...
elleninmaine
Sponsored Products
Sorrento Outdoor Ottoman Cover
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
MTI MTSB-6030 Shower Base (59.625" x 30")
Modern Bathroom
Vessel | Architectural Pottery S4 Planter/Container
YLiving.com
Artemide | Basic Bath Strip
$245.00 | YLighting
Real Flame Limestone Corsica Fire Column
Overstock.com
18-Inch Square Pumpkin and Parchment Patterned Cotton Pillow Cover with Poly Ins
$51.60 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™