cleaning cigarette-smoke in furniture

tigerbangsMay 12, 2010

We recently got some nice used furniture from an estate sale, but, when we got it home, we realized that the smell of cigarette smoke in the upholstered pieces is overpowering.

The odors appear to be a combination of mold-smell and cigarette smell: the house was owned by a smoker who left for Florida six months of the year, and left the house damp and barely heated. I removed the seat cushion covers and washed them with laundry detergent and oxy-clean, but the smell persisted.

I hate to throw the furniture out, because it was obviously expensive stuff, but I have no idea how to clean it and get rid of the mold and smoke smell. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susie53_gw

The same thing happened to us. Really didn't notice the smell until we got it home. I had them cleaned by the guy that does my carpets and it took care of the smell.

Susie

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 9:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoAnn_Fla

get some "Liquid Alive" and spray it, it will kill ALL odors!!! I got mine on amazon for less then $10 with free shipping. Check online for the best prices. I am now using it in my laundry and its amazing what a differnce it has made.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Has anyone tried Green Works?
I see Costco has Green Works. DH and I are planning...
myclementine
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
shower doors nightmare
Hello there. My boyfriend is about to sell his house,...
vacuumfreak
hard water marks on glasses
Can anyone tell me how to clean hard water marks from...
MIStepMom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™