How high should bathroom tile go up on wall?

twogirlsbigtroubleApril 2, 2009

Trying to plan our tile for the master bath. I am curious to know how high the tile should go up the wall. We plan to have it all the way around the bathroom (behind toilet, vanity, tub, etc.). Is there a general rule? Or a certain height that looks good always?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oskiebabu

The minimum should be 6 feet from the base. I prefer at least 6 and a half to 7 feet. Some people like to go all the way to the ceiling. Much depends on your taste, how tall the shower head is, and whether you want extra protection from mold (or potential splashes on the paint, that could eventually cause problems).

Greg

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 11:57AM
twogirlsbigtrouble

Oh maybe I should clarify. We have a seperate tile shower, so Im just asking about wall tile in the other areas.

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 12:52PM
pharaoh

In one bathroom we went 3 feet. the other bathroom all the way to the ceiling (throughout the bathroom including the shower). The shorter is more classic, the full height looks more modern.

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 1:14PM
norasnews

We went with 38" and capped with a trim tile to look like a chair rail.

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 4:17PM
bill_vincent

While you'll see answers anywhere from 36" to 72", the norm is usually between 42" and 52", depending on where your vanity, mirror (or hutch), and electrical switches and outlets fall. You want to make sure that especially the electrical face plates fall either all on, or all off the FIELD tile (It can't have any raised tiles like chair rail or raised pencil liners falling underneath the plates, either).

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 7:34PM
sombreuil_mongrel

I found upon doing some demo that a wooden chair rail (utility rail?) was run at 42 inch height. I put my tile chair rail at that height and it looks very natural. It doesn't interfere with the medicine cabinet, which nestles in just above the chair rail.
Casey

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
help - can I recess surface mount medicine cabinets?
We have just realized that our previously ordered 5...
docellie
Help choosing a vanity top?
I am trying to choose a vanity tops for my renovated...
singers11
What is the strongest, best bathroom fan on the market?
We've had mildew in our old bathroom, despite having...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Wall Mural (Photo Wallpaper, Photo Tile or Hire Artist?)
We have one wall in bath that's a hand-painted mural....
stevemac00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™