GE Self Cleaning Oven

gammytMay 18, 2011

I have a basic builder grade GE self cleaning oven and had a major spill over of a Chicken version of Shepard Pie on Sunday dinner.

The instructions for cleaning say take the chrome racks out and I have done that for 8 years. It takes hours to scrub those racks. Friends with other oven brands say they leave theirs in.

Anyone with a GE ever just leave the racks in during the self cleaning?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

If you leave them in they will discolor. Personally, that's pretty low on my list of concerns but you may have a different opinion.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 7:17PM
jannie

I have a Caloric gas stove/oven with self -cleaning feature. I use it (the cleaning function) about twice a year-not enough,I know! Anyhow,while I clean the oven, I take the racks out, spray them with Easy Off (the cold formula spray) and wrap in plastic dry cleaning bags and put them outside (several hours or overnight. Hose them off and they are as clean as the oven!

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 11:30AM
gammyt

Thanks Mike, discolor is bad, my husband would throw a fit if chrome doesn't sparkle. LOL and SIGH!

Jannie, Thanks, I will give that a try except I will bring them in and wash them off in the sink. I don't have a place to hose off oven cleaner where it wont kill the grass or get our dog sick.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 1:22PM
badgergrrl

"Thanks Mike, discolor is bad, my husband would throw a fit if chrome doesn't sparkle. LOL and SIGH!"

Well, then DH can clean them himself, eh? ;)

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Sink Scratches
My white (porcelain?) sink gets silvery scratch marks...
jinnufr
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Help! Lime Away hurt my sink!
Hi all, I had a new cleaning lady work in my cottage...
jlknovi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™