Steam Vacuum Cleaners

happsMay 27, 2011

I have about 500 sq ft of regular Stainmaster type carpeting in my house that hasn't had a professional or steam cleaning in 4 years. I would like to get your opinion on under $200 steam vacuum cleaners from companies like Hoover and Bissell? I have a Hoover Floormate that I use for the tile areas in my floor and am not too impressed with it because of leaks and tank size. Does these steam vacuum cleaners use a lot of liquid with each use, because I have noticed that the cleaning solutions sold with them are pretty expensive compared with going to a janitorial supply store and buying a gallon for $20. Is it possible to make a home carpet cleaning recipe that's effective for pennies lol?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

I use a Hoover with onboard heater and it works very well for me. I don't ever purchase the Hoover carpet cleaning solution - it just made my carpet feel sticky. For the two wool rugs I have, I use 1 cup of distilled vinegar and fill the rest with water. For the light carpeting, I use a mixture of a little dissolved oxyclean plus X-O (this is an enzyme cleaner to take care of pet spots and kid spills) plus water. Works great. The onboard heater really makes a big difference. My previous cleaner did not have one and did not clean nearly as well.

As to liquid use - you control the amount you choose to use. The liquid is only sprayed when you hold the trigger. None of the models available have a huge cleaning solution or dirty water tank. You would have to go with a commercial model for that.

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass
Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the...
clancyspad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™