Cleaning 'S' Fabric Couch

kitchenMay 19, 2008

I have a couch that doesn't seem to be able to be cleaned--professionally or by me b/c it is covered is fabric that is categorized as an "s" fabric. It's dirty and needs to be spot cleaned. Any tips on how to get out chocolate, crayons, and the like on "s" fabric?

THanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

What is an "S" fabric? Does that have something to do with grade? or fiber?
Linda C

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 7:05PM
eteinne

Hi!

I have and entire house full of "S" fabric. I take it that you have children and this is the last thing you want in your house! The "S" stand for solvent clean and not shampoo. This is "Dry Cleaning" with solvent. No water and no spot cleaning as it will leave a ring. You have to get a pro in to do this and this is not a person which tells you that they are going to steam clean it. I know I posted at one point about the "S" factor.

Good Luck!

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 8:40PM
sue36

I have an S fabric chair that my cat peed on. The professional cleaner I called told me to test an inconspicuous spot with water or cleaner. It didn't leave a mark, so they came and steam cleaned it. After it dried I could still smell pee, so I soaked it with Nature's Miracle several times over several days until the smell was gone and kitty was no longer interested in it. You'd never know I did this. No water stains, no color runs.

I'm not saying you will be so lucky, but the professional told me the fabric companies are sometimes like the clothing companies - they label things dry clean only that really can be cleaned with water.

Do you have a sample you can test? Maybe remove the cushions and test the area where the spring are (I have at least 6" all around of the fabric there).

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 3:48AM
livvysmom

I have also heard that furniture manufacturers label fabrics as S when they really could be W.

When I bought my couch, there were very few W fabrics to choose from (mostly 100% polyester).

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
How to rid house of dog smell
I'm doing a temporary rental (sold my house finally...
lisa77429
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™