Cat Urine in Brick

country_sunshineMay 18, 2011

My niece just purchased a lovely home with a brick hearth. Problem is that when she went to clean the brick to prepare it for sealing it, it brought up the unmistakable smell or cat urine. She is NOT happy !! But I told her I would try to find a solution to her problem..... so ..... anyone have any suggestions? She has tried some scent removal solvents that she got at WalMart, but the scent persists. She is threatening to have the entire hearth ripped out, but the brick is all hand made by the previous owner who built the home. and it would be a shame to destroy those wonderful bricks..

Anyone??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GammyT

She should put the sealer she wanted to on the hearth. It will seal in the cat smell

She didn't smell it until she tried to clean the hearth so it can't be that strong.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 7:07PM
jannie

Ask if she has tried Natures Miracle. It has worked for me where my cats "missed" the cat box and instead dribbled/sprayed urine onto a tile floor. NM is a liquid enzyme cleaner found in pets stores. As I said, it works for me and my cats.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 9:06AM
country_sunshine

She went to Petsmart and found something called (I think ) Stink free... and she said that worked pretty well and now is applying the first coat of sealer. She said she can't smell any more pee. Thank you for your responses.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 12:18PM
clairebuoyant1

Spray the brick with plain white vinegar. It might take a couple of applications, but it WILL work. Over 30 years ago we bought a home with a crawlspace. Everytime it rained, the house stank of cat urine. We ripped out the carpets thinking they were the source. Found out from neighbors that the previous , elderly owners allowed their cats to use the crawlspace as a litter box. We did one good douse of white vinegar and never smelled it again in the 17 years we lived there.!!!

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 4:15PM
More Discussions
Carpet Cleaning: Can it Ruin the Carpet?
I've never had a professional carpet cleaning, but...
Cassandra
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
Dishes smell 'fishy' after dishwasher
All my dishes and flatware have a funky sort of odor...
michelle_phxaz
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Dirty Coffeemaker Sickness!
Warning: This Is NASTY! So I make a pot of coffee everyday...
tomatozilla
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™