Removing blood stains from sweater

pinkcarnationMay 22, 2008

After my last treatment, the nurse got a few drops of blood on my cotton sweater while accessing my port. Later, my DD used a "Tide to go" stick on it and all that did was smear it. At home, I sprayed the stains with Oxy spray and let it set for awhile and threw it in the machine. When I took it out, the stains were a bit lighter, but still there. I didn't put it in the dryer, and was wondering if I now soak it in Oxy Clean or peroxide, will that remove the blood, or is my sweater ruined? I hope someone can help, as I love that sweater!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Always soak blood stains in cold water....before soap or Tide or OXY anything else.
Soak the whole sweater in cold water now for at least 24 hours and see what's up....if it's still there then try an enzyme cleaner, like BIZ or a cleaner meant for pet and kid stains....there is one called "Pets 'n Kids" that is good. Then as a last resort soak the whole thing in OXY clean for 24 hours or more. But it will lighten the color of the sweater a bit.
Linda C

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 4:40PM
ilovetn

My DH has eczema and is always getting blood spots on the sheets. I have great luck with Spray 'n Wash Dual Power. It comes in the divided bottle. It usually takes care of all the blood stains. Good Luck

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 5:18PM
groomingal

in the vets office we use hydrogen peroxide and we just treat it and wash later- stains come out just fine.

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 5:39PM
tishanyc

These things are unfortunate, but they do happen. While you do want to look nice going for your treatments...try this. Get a few cheap T-Shirts in colors that compliment you. Put the shirt on and with a marker, mark a circle around where your catheter or med-port is. Take the shirt off and cut out the circle (NEVER use a scissor near your catheter or med-port. When going for treatment where this shirt under your pretty sweaters or blouses. Remove your top for treatment, your body is covered, port is accessable, and if the T-shirt gets blood on it...well, no big deal. Be sure to tuck in the legs of your port before removing the T shirt. All best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 8:12PM
good36

hydrogen peroxide works great.

Bookmark   May 25, 2008 at 9:37AM
jannie

Pour on hydrogen peroxide, rub it a bit but be gentle, then wash in cold water in the sink. Remove from rinse water, blot dry, then air dry. It works for me. I've had nosebleeds all my life,so I'm an expert at blood stains.

Bookmark   May 25, 2008 at 10:46AM
pinkcarnation

Sorry it has been awhile since I first posted this. I want to thank all of you for the wonderful hints and well wishes!

~Linda, I have always soaked blood-stained clothing
in cold water, and had no problems removing the stains. After trying the Tide stick though, that wasn't working for some reason.

~tishanyc, What an innovative idea! Actually, my med-port is surgically implanted, so I don't have to worry about damaging it! Thanks for the well wishes! I take it one day at a time and Thank God for all my Blessings!!

My DIL continued to soak my sweater and use the Oxy spray and was able to remove all the stains. I will certainly keep the other ideas in mind in future, as I am sure I will have this problem again.

Thanks again....you guys are awesome!!

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™