Canister Steam Cleaner?

mthouseMay 25, 2010

I am looking into purchasing a steam cleaner and hope that some of you can help me, please!!

I have been looking at the shark portable steamer and also the shark steam mop. What I would really like to find is one product that is like a canister-type with a floor attachment and a hand-held attachment.

I would like to use it to clean my cork floors, tile shower, acryllic tub & shower, and to clean/sanitize various baby gear (swing, stroller, etc.) before my next baby is born.

Any reccomendations would be very much appreciated. I am willing to spend some money to get something that will work well for what I want it to do, but hate to spend that much money on 2 products if there is something else that would work better. Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lauriefree

I have the portable pocket steamer. Since my kitchen is small, I just get down on my knees and steam-clean the hardwood. There are sometimes parts that needed wiping up after steaming which I do with a clean microfiber cloth. Cleaning a floor is not a difficult job if you have a good back, a pitcher of water handy and do small sections at a time. And... if you are clear on not wanting to use chemicals. So, I think the portable steam cleaner can do floors but not vice versa, mop-wise. However, they cleverly don't include a mop wand with the portable pocket cleaner, so grovelling on the floor (or having your kids/ spouse/ maid do it) is the only way.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 9:43AM
lauriefree

One more thing about the steam pocket hand-held. I haven't tried this yet but possibly with relatively minimal bending you could use the steamer without the attachments to 'blast' it with steam, then simply use a microfiber mop to wipe it. I have a swiffer wet-jet on which I velcro a microfiber floor cloth. I do the same with my flimsy swiffer floor duster thing, which has holes to grasp the cloth on the top of the head.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 9:56AM
graywings123

Simply put, you want a canister steam cleaner. You can buy them at all price points. You can get a Wagner steam cleaner for $80 or a high end Italian-made version costing a few hundred dollars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wagner

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 1:44PM
ebear1271

I have the shark canister. It does a fair job. I would give it 7 out of 10. Not for really tough jobs but great for everyday cleaning. The one problem I have found is that it's so much like a canister vacuum that you want to pull it by the hose as you clean. Not a good idea. You have to pick it up to move it. Mine is probably going to die soon because I pulled it by the hose.

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™