Some kind of critter droppings - Repeat Offender -Warning! Gross

jinnufrMay 24, 2008

This is so weird. And curious. (sorry it's gross)

We have a second story deck. The only access to it is through the room it's off of. (no outside access/stairs)

The storm door is broken and doesn't close all the way. We don't go out there much since I have little guys and keep it locked for now.

Anyway - found mounds of critter droppings on the metal door frame where something had to have backed up and left a deposit there purposefully, and repeatedly. Looked like a cow had been there actually.(or someone who was sick and couldn't wait for the bathroom just opened the door and stuck their butt half-way out! lol Thankfully we have no one here who would do that!) lol Must've been swollen from the rain. (ewww. I know)

Anyway. DH cleaned it all. We sprayed the area down with vinegar and lysol. Closed the door as closely as possible, but there's still about a 8 inch opening or so.

Checked a few days later - it's back. I have no idea what is doing this. It must be climbing the tree right by the deck and using the door frame as facilities.

My question is: How can I stop it from coming back. Even once the door gets fixed.

Also, curious what the heck it could be! lol Maybe a coon or opossum? Are there critters who have 'litter box' habits? Or privacy issues? Why would they come find *that* spot in the first place?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

It sounds like there is a location somewhere above that spot that some animal likes to sit, whether a tree limb or possibly the roof line, and it just happens to be above your deck. They are not aiming the droppings at any particular spot.

There are places on the internet that can help you identify animal droppings, for example, this page on opossums.

You could trim the tree branch where the animal sits.

Here is a link that might be useful: opossum droppings

Bookmark   May 25, 2008 at 7:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jinnufr

That's a good point. I'll bet theres something up in the gutter/roofline then. There aren't any trees above that spot, but I'll bet you're right, it's just in the line of fire there.
Glad I wasn't standing there then! lol

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease
Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot,...
junkyardgirl
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™