Very Old Tub Stains

jessica_likes_herbsMay 18, 2009

A little background: I'm going to be helping my Nana pack to move to my state in June. Her husband past away, and he was in charge of cleaning his bathroom. He didn't clean the bathtub that often for years, so a hard water stain and probably soap scum stain is set in on the tub.

My Nana asked me if I knew of anything to take off the stain. She's tried Tilex, a commercial cleaner recommended by the realtor, and a pumice like stone designed for cleaning tubs naturely. She's been working on the tub for a while, but has only seen some improvement. She's wanting to try a few more things before she gives up.

I've been searching the net, and will consult books in the library. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ebear1271

Try a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray it on and then sprinkle on baking soda. The vinegar and baking soda react and it might help eat through some of the stains. For normal cleaning I use Bon Ami, which might work also.

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 1:30PM
graywings123

What material is the tub made of - acrylic? fiberglass? enamel over steel or cast iron?

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 9:26AM
jessica_likes_herbs

I think the tub is porcelain like her other tub. Next time I talk to her, I'll try to remember to ask.

So far, I've found these options:

Like the poster above said, vinegar and vinegar solutions often came up in my searches. Since this tub has a bad stain, I'm leaning towards the solution described here.
www.howtogetridofstuff.com/stain-removal/how-to-get-rid-of-hard-water-stains/

I remember a show that had bad cleaning problems, so I googled: queen of clean tub stain
I found a google book result that mentioned using powdered alum and lemon juice

I also found recommendations to buy professional descalers at hardware stores.

I don't know how well any of these will work on years of caked on hard water and soap scum stains in the tub. I'm looking for several things to try since I'll be there for a week.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease
Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot,...
junkyardgirl
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™