Smelly sink drain

where_am_iMay 3, 2006

In a home I just moved in to, I found one of the bathroom sinks was draining very slowly. After cleaning out the trap and finding a lot of hair in it, I used a Draino on it according to the directions. Now, it drains faster than the 2nd sink, but when I put my face close to it, it has an odor. It's not a sewer smell, and dosen't smell like Draino, perhaps left overs from what the Draino cleaned up. What is the best way to get rid of the smell?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krissie55

Pour baking soda into the drain followed by vinegar. It will foam up and clean the drain, deoderizing in the process. Worth a try.

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 12:35PM
jenathegreat

I think you're supposed to chase that baking soda and vinegar with some very hot (boiling?) water to finish clearing it out.

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 3:55PM
jleek

Have used the baking soda and vinegar for years, I have a septic tank. Works perfect with or with out the addition of the hot water.

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 12:25PM
jamiebaby

SAVED MY LIFE!!!
I had a smelly sink drain (I thought) and I looked up how to fix it. I did the baking soda and water and went to turn on the stove to boil the hot water and poof! the other burner started.... It wasent a smelly sink drain but gas leaking from a stove nob that had been accedentally turned...The stove and sink are right next to each other and it was gas that I was smelling (not recognizing it as gas because I had cleaned the counter a few minutes earlier and was also smelling the cleanser)...Your advice literally saved my life...If I hadent went to boil the water I would not have found out about the gas leak....THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!

Bookmark   July 21, 2006 at 1:00AM
More Discussions
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™