Is 2 cm too thin for a marble double vanity counter top?

threeapplesApril 16, 2013

This is Nero marquina if that makes any difference. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

That is a bit over 3/4 inch. (0.80 inch). Sometimes slabs are this thickness, placed on 3/4 substrate and the edges are built up with another piece to create a 1-1/2" edge. It depends somewhat on what kind of edge detail you want.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 10:44AM
palimpsest

This seems to be the thickness (3/4) of vintage sink countertops I've seen made out of stonem around here.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 11:00AM
kirkhall

Generally, the 2cm stuff should be "supported" underneath. In my area, there is a full layer of plywood that goes down first, then the 2cm thickness stuff goes on top and, yes, the edge is built up to appear to be thicker.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 2:04PM
threeapples

I think this is a great idea, kirkhall. I asked the fabricator and he said it's not necessary, but I'll insist on it.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 5:19PM
shanghaimom

Have a look at Pottery Barn's online vanities. They use 2cm marble tops and some owners say in reviews that they look skimpy. Noticeably thinner than what you usually see, but maybe only for TBO!?

This post was edited by shanghaimom on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 22:59

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 9:53PM
threeapples

Shanghaimom, I may not have a choice.
One quote for the 3 cm was outrageous and the other one wasn't large enough to do the vanity without a seam down the center, which I don't want.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 10:07PM
shanghaimom

Oh, I just looked up your stone--fabulous!! Showstopper marble.

Just have them reinforce, and build the edge profile up, like the others said.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 10:32PM
KevinMP

I have 2 cm because I wanted to be able to use it for the knee wall caps and shower surround/threshhold, too, and it's been perfectly fine.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 10:33PM
threeapples

Thanks to both of you!

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 10:40PM
elphaba_gw

2 cm works great for our quartz. We didn't have the edge build up -- needed every bit of space we could have so it didn't interfere with door molding - (long story) - but real reason I'm posting here is that I found some info about trends in bathrooms and learned that in Europe, the trend is for 2 cm without the edge build up, who woulda thought? LOL
Also, by the way, my fabricator also said that plywood beneath was not necessary for our quartz so I didn't go that route. Here is what "thin" looks like (and I would have had the buildout edge if I would have had room - oh well):

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:54AM
kirkhall

quartz is a harder stone than marble.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 1:38PM
kudzu9

threeapples-
I was trying to match existing granite in my kitchen, but the only match was 2cm, which was thinner than the existing countertops. When I told my fabricator that I was concerned about the seam in the middle from a built-up edge, he said: "No problem, we'll cut all the pieces at a 45 degree angle and the seams will be along the edges where you can't see them." Take a look at these photos and see what you think:

He even showed me samples where he had done this with highly figured marble, and he just matched the cut pieces at the seam line so it looked like the pattern wrapped over the edge and down the sides as if it were a solid 4cm slab. If you can find a fabricator who has the skill to do this properly, it's amazing, and they can give you whatever perceived thickness you want without obvious seams.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 4:09AM
threeapples

Cool technique, thanks!

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 8:22AM
athensmomof3

Ditto the above. My mom used 2 cm thassos marble and had it built up to 3cm in her guest bath as she needed only a small piece and the remnant she found was 2 cm. Looks great and cannot tell at all!

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 4:31PM
kaysd

We used 2 cm White Macaubas without a built-up edge on the perimeter cabinets in our kitchen. I wanted something modern and liked the look in pictures of European kitchens. Our cabinet maker built our base cabinets with solid tops, rather than the usual separate sheet of plywood on top of the cabinets, since there is not a built-up edge to hide the plywood.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:43PM
threeapples

thanks, kaysd. our fabricator insists we do not need a plywood base. our builder has offered to put some wood in to support the marble. i'll see what they say when i bring it up again.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:17PM
threeapples

Good news--the supplier got it in 3 cm for us so no worries there.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:41AM
More Discussions
Lighted Tub/Shower Niche
Anyone ever wire a light into your shower niche? I...
monicakm_gw
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
Originally posted in "Plumbing" I cannot...
rantontoo
Opinions on Water Creation Vanities??
I am strongly considering the Water Creation 72"...
likewhatyoudo
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
Sponsored Products
Eurostyle Forest Bar/ Counter Stool in Black & Satin Nickel
Beyond Stores
Bover | Mei 180 Suspension Light
YLighting
Palermo 7-pc. Counter Height Fire Pit Table Set, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
EdgeStar IB120SS Under-counter Stainless Steel Ice Maker
Overstock.com
Bella's Barstool
$119.99 | Dot & Bo