urine out of mattress?

retro_rabbitMay 5, 2005

My son (age 4) had a bedwetting accident for the first time EVER. Unfortunately, we'd just move, and in a quick stopgap measure so we could get to sleep the first night, my DH had put just the sheets on the bed... no mattress pad, nothing waterproof, no protection. It's a fairly new mattress and it's SOAKED. Is there anything I can do to save it? I'm not just worried about the smell -- I'm worried about mold, mildew and germs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Blot...blot blot with paper towels kleenex what ever you can find....and when no more moisture comes up.....dump on some Nature's Mirical....or another...think it's called kids and dogs.....let it sit for 15 minutes and blot again....until it is as dry as you can get it....
Then set it up so there is air on all sides and turn an electric fan on it...on high....for about 48 hours....then see.
May have to call a professional....but those measures will do no harm.
Linda C

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 7:19PM
JessyFeldm_speakeasy

Next time you set up the bed, try this:

bottom: vinyl sheet (waterproof)
on top of that: regular sheet
on top of that: another vinyl sheet
lastly on top of that: regular sheet

Teach your kid if he wets his bed in the middle of the night, to get up himself, strip off the first two layers, then go back to bed. You can do laundry in the AM and enjoy a full nights uninterrupted sleep.

This cured my son pronto. I realize that your son may not be a frequent wetter (mine was nightly) but my buddy parents like my idea, which I got from Dear Abby!

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 11:30PM
retro_rabbit

Excellent idea... probably overkill in this case, as this kid almost never pees at night at all (even as a baby; even in this case, it was a first-thing-in-the-morning accident)... but one I will definitely remember for his siblings!

Where do you get your vinyl sheets? The waterproof sheets we have have a tendency to pull off very easily - with ours I'm not sure a kid could strip off the top two layers without getting the bottom ones too.

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 8:12AM
lazy_gardens

Use vinyl mattress covers, than a regular mattress pad.

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 9:18AM
lizql

Go to a vets office and get a product called Equalizer. It's a spray for cat urine. Works great on people urine too.

Bookmark   May 17, 2005 at 11:10AM
boyz2mom4

I have used Dettol very successfully on cat urine. It is probably the phenol compound that neutralizes it.

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 12:30PM
wendys20

leaning a soiled or stained mattress is no walk in the park. A meticulous vacuuming of the mattress and box spring can eliminate dust and mites. A soiled mattress, however, needs to be rid of the moisture, which can be absorbed by towels etc. Use a mild soap, detergent or upholstery cleaner. Use dry suds so as to avoid the mattress becoming more wet. The technique is simple. Mix a mild detergent with little warm water with a wisk or a beater. Remove the froth, and clean the mattress with the remaining solution. Apply it with a brush to remove stains and odor, and leave it in the sun or under a fan to dry. Although itÂs the longest part of the procedure, your involvement is the least.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mattress Cleaning Method

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 1:17AM
clueless1959

Totally Toddler even works on old urine stains. I get it at Walmart in the baby department can be used on bedding clothing high chairs carpets most anything and it's for urine blood vomit and food stains etc.

The Totally Toddler stuff has saved me many times over the years. Love that stuff removes the odor rather than just covering it up as well.

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 2:03AM
pugger

Our oldest dog peed on a pillow on top of a bed a couple of years back. I took a large can of lysol and sprayed/drenched the mattress with it. It worked but I bet the Natures Miracle stuff would work even better, along with the other tips given here.

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 10:42AM
jejvtr

same as many of the above in addition nothing like taking the mattress outside on a nice sunny day@!

Bookmark   February 28, 2007 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
removing dog urine smell
My aister, who works full time, has had a live in nanny....
cearab
Dirty Coffeemaker Sickness!
Warning: This Is NASTY! So I make a pot of coffee everyday...
tomatozilla
Dishes smell 'fishy' after dishwasher
All my dishes and flatware have a funky sort of odor...
michelle_phxaz
Pine Sol Original Has Changed For The Worst
Im a 47 yo male, have been a neat clean guy all my...
northwoods
onions on wood cutting board odor removal?
I tried searching and haven't seen this-- We use a...
sheilaaus122
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Beach Stripe Sheet Set
Serena & Lily
Serena & Lily Hudson Crib
Serena & Lily
Olivia 3 Piece Queen Bedroom Set in Black
$592.00 | LexMod
Korver Leather Sleeper Sofa - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
Resort Sham
$24.50 | FRONTGATE