GE Cafe optional SS backguard damage

Vince7274April 10, 2012

SS is discolored - large brown stain -from heat at center vent. Have not found anything to clean it. GE tech has ordered replacement backguard but has no explaination on how/why this occured. Anyone else have problem and found a solution?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oceangirl67

You called for a technician because your range was dirty?

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 2:16PM
eandhl

Did you try a paste of Barkeepers Friend?

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 2:33PM
Vince7274

Barkeepers Friend - thanks for the tip. I'll try to locate some and give it a try.
Oceangirl67 - My concern is that nothing I've tried has worked. The metal appears to be scorched as opposed to soiled. The vent design forces the exhaust to chimney against the ss face of the backguard causing the discoloration.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 4:37PM
attofarad

If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can have some Bar Keepers Friend at your house in two days for $5.08 delivered.

Here is a link that might be useful: BK's Friend

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 10:49PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

That's standard for any high heat range. Nothing will work to "correct" it. GE customer service dweebs should have told you that this is completely normal and will reoccur should you replace the stainless.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 11:35PM
pbx2_gw

Does that mean users will have to start using the dreaded aluminum foil over that area?

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 3:23PM
oceangirl67

Is it safe to assume that without the backguard, the tiles (if that's the backsplash) would be suffering from the discoloration? Or is this an exhaust problem?

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 10:17PM
Angie_DIY

Is it safe to assume that without the backguard, the tiles (if that's the backsplash) would be suffering from the discoloration?

Ceramic tiles wouldn't discolor from the heat. They were fired to much higher temperatures than that in their manufacture.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 2:07AM
Vince7274

Update:
GE is refusing to replace the backguard because it is an "accessory" thus not covered by range wattenty. Hour plus on phone to different reps to no avail. Finally customer relations agreed to send the replacement but no installation.

Tried BK Friend - paste soft cleanser in hidden area. Changes look-reflectivity of the stainless and won't give it a serious try until replacement backguard in hand.

The high backguard looks good but now think it is impractical and not worth the price.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 12:09PM
weedmeister

This is what stainless does, depending on its quality. I have All-Clad pans that look fine. I have a Henckel pan that darkened after its first use. Guess which one was cheaper?

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
2 Weeks With my New ASKO Dishwasher--a review
Since very few people here have ASKO dishwashers or...
needinfo1
Daily Luxury Convenience (Combi Steam) vs. Tried & True Dbl Oven
I asked questions about the steam oven last month....
lawjedi
Cabinet front dishwashers
We are putting in two cabinet-front dishwashers in...
mwinfield
Install Question for Subzero Undercounter UC24 BG/S Beverage Center
We're looking to install a Subzero UC24 BG/S Undercounter...
pbx2
gas oven ignitor help
I recently picked up a great amana self clean gas oven,...
billhiggs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™