Electrolux Icon Induction 36" Cooktop - do you have it?

ctychickApril 21, 2014

From the pictures on the Electrolux website, it appears that there is a stainless frame around the edge of the unit and it looks like it sits noticably high off the countertop. Is this the case? I'm also looking at GE's Monogram counterpart and it seems to be set almost flush with the countertop. I'm leaning toward the Electrolux for a number of reasons, but the raised edge might be a deal breaker for me. I see it as a dirt and crumb trap and not sleek. Can anyone clarify? Thanks!

This post was edited by ctychick on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 10:24

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have the Kenmore clone of the 2007 Electrolux Icon. It sit on the surface, with a height that I would estimate as about 1/2 inch (ca. 1.3 cm). It uses this space for cooling air flow. It may as a result be less sensitive to the temperature rise of the cabinet air below it.

I think if I were to flood the counter surface with liquid, then there would be some likelihood that liquid would leak under the edge into the cabinet space below, just as it would for any top mounted surface that isn't inset and sealed. I haven't had any flooding happen to me yet, though, and DW's experience seems similar due to lack of signs of spillage in the wire rack area below that holds pans. I can see upon close inspection that there are a few grains of salt sitting next to the edges that need to be cleaned. Otherwise, because the surface remains cool, there is no encrustation of glop.

My version of this cooktop has metal strips at the near and far side, and not on the sides. The 2007 Electrolux Icon also had a strip between the controls and hobs, and I avoided this to me undesirable feature by buying the Kenmore. I haven't looked at more recent Electrolux induction cooktops, or for that matter Kenmore cooktops, so I don't know what differences have occurred.


    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 10:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks, kaseki. I'm guessing that the model has changed slightly over the past 7 years (?), but your comments seem relevant regardless. Good to know. The GE Monogram appears to have a more seamless integration, so they must be accomodating for the cool air flow in another way.

For reference, I attached a closeup photo of the GE Monogram's edge.

    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 10:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Some units pull cooling air from underneath and return it to the same cabinet cavity. My unit has a fan on the base, and returns some air to underneath, but also moves air in and out of the small gaps at the edges.


    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 7:56PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
My GC thinks I need 1000 cfm and I think he's crazy
So I actually don't think he's crazy and he's right...
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Refrigerator Water Valve Leaking
Any idea why the blue cap (see red arrow) on the water...
Bluestar Electric French Door Wall Oven
Who has one? would love to hear about it! I love the...
Need Help Selecting Propane Cooktop
I am looking to replace an electric cooktop with a...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™