Do steam mop heads 'catch' on rougher textured tile?

maydlMay 2, 2008

New here, over from the Kitchens Forum.

Our kitchen remodel has just begun, and we will have a very large expanse of highly textured--somewhat rough, even--porcelain floor tile. All our other noncarpeted floors are tile as well. I've read such glowing reviews of steam mops here, and we're interested in the Bissell Steam Mop, but we're worried that the microfiber mop head will "catch" on the rough texture of the tile.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone on this Forum who has experience using these microfiber heads on rougher tile surfaces. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bestyears

I have the Bissell mop and slate looking tile that is raised in spots (i.e. like real flagstone) in two rooms. It doesn't ever feel like it's catching to me, works beautifully! But I do have to say, I loaned it to my friend, and after she used it on her floors it really ripped up the cover a bit. I've read of other people having this happen as well. If you have the kind of tile that is rough to the touch vs. changing levels I can see how it could be difficult perhaps to push the steam-mop.
Lynn

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 4:54PM
maydl

Thanks, bestyears, for your response. After I read it, I tested an old 3M ScotchBrite microfiber dust cloth on my foot-square sample of backsplash tile, which is exactly the same as my future floor tile, only smaller. This dust cloth will "catch" on my hands if my skin is dry and rough, but there was no problem with catching on my tile sample. It seems that the tile is heavily textured, but not rough to the touch as I had thought. So maybe the Bissell Steam Mop will work out after all. Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 1:05AM
bestyears

oh terrific maydl. I LOVE my steam mop. I did the floors just yesterday, and even after months of using this little machine, I still marvel at it!
Lynn

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 11:46AM
shelacious

I've noticed that it's a little more difficult on my porcelain tile floor, but the mop doesn't catch.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 3:24PM
maydl

Thanks, shelacious, for sharing your positive experience. If you're still reading this thread, why do you think using it on your porcelain tile floor is "a little more difficult"?

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
How to Clean a Disgusting Plastic Shower Floor
I have purchased a property that has what I believer...
lgal63
O-Cedar micro fiber dust mop, use dry or with a light spray of water?
Subject question. With older design I thought a dry...
jerry_nj
Castile Soap Dilemma
This has probably been gone over, but I would like...
harlowolivia
easiest way to clean silk plants?
I have a bunch of silk plants, mostly in my kitchen...
drcindy
removing dog urine smell
My aister, who works full time, has had a live in nanny....
cearab
Sponsored Products
Nexus 12 x 12 Inch Beige Mosaic Self-adhesive Vinyl Floor Tile
Overstock.com
SomerTile 11.25x12-in Posh Penny Round Capri Porcelain Mosaic Tile (Pack of 10)
Overstock.com
Medrassa Tile Openwork 20" Round Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Sample-Loft Sage Polished 2x8 Glass Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Area Rug: Party Tiles Green/Cream 3' 3" x 5' 3"
Home Depot
NHL Tampa Bay Lightning Team Carpet Tiles Square: 1 Ft. 5 In. x 1 Ft. 5 In.
$234.95 | Bellacor
Ocean Waves Oval Outdoor Coffee Table - Black, 42" x 24" Oval, Patio Furniture
$995.00 | FRONTGATE
Mosaic Tile: Merola Tile Building Materials Tessera Mini Suffolk 11-3/4 in. x
$13.75 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™