Appliance puzzle - which old ones to use and which to replace

sleepypageApril 11, 2013

I've been researching and had settled on a new 48in Wolf DF range, to keep my existing Samsung French door refrigerator, andKA dishwasher and purchase a second 18indishwasher. My DH can't understand why I'm not going to reuse the existing thermador gas cooktop and ten year old GE double ovens. The ovens are too old and too small to put in a new kitchen but I concede that I could use the old cooktop - five years old and I've been happy on it. This means starting over my research and looking at wall ovens - any advice here? Appliance advice and save my marriage. I worry if I don't go with the new range I will regret it later when it is time to replace the cooktop and I'm stuck with new cabinets around an old thermador. Throw into the mix the blue star I've just discovered - sounds like my husband would be happier with that price and I could buy just a single wall oven. I roast a ton of chickens ('if we have chicken again I'm going to start clucking') and veggies, plus bake cookies, cakes, quick breads. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cooksnsews

Are you doing a total renovation? If so, the decision about whether to go with a 48" range (or any stand-alone range) or separate cooktop + wall ovens is a fundamental one which will impact the entire cabinet design, and must be decided very early in the process. If you have the desire, space, and budget for a 48 incher, I'd insist upon it, as one cannot be easily retrofitted into any kitchen when/if the existing cooktop dies.

It's perfectly OK to economize by re-using a fridge and dishwasher, as the holes they occupy are standard and new ones can be easily popped in when the old ones die. But cooktops are different. There are no standards for shape/size between brands so matching a new one to an existing cut-out in your counter tops can really limit your choices down the road.

Can you get Hubs to buy into these arguments?

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 1:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleepypage

I'm working on him! Time is running out! Thank you for validating everything I've been saying to him...

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Removal of Dishwasher Detergent Build-Up
I have a Miele dishwasher in a rental unit that has...
dimond
Counter depth refrigerators - who actually stocks them?
I need to replace my current counter depth refrigerator,...
yjacket86
Lacanche-beautiful but how functional?
I am very tempted to splurge on a Lacanche for our...
mbwestfall
Seeking Bosch Benchmark Feedback
I know there have been a few posts regarding the new...
nadianyc
Convection Microwave vs Speed Cook Microwave Help
We are remodeling our basement to include a kitchenette...
Teresa Cooper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™