How to clean color bleed on new towels

mrs-mjtApril 19, 2009

I washed previously washed blue jeans (thought they were done bleeding) with dark brown towels that have small cream stripes in them. After removing them from the dryer, I saw that the blue bled onto the cream. Can you please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
groomingal

mrs-mjt...RIT color dye company makes a color-bleed removal. I want to say it comes in a pink or purple colored box. I have used it before and it works really well.

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 8:56AM
mrs-mjt

Thanks I'll check it out. Will it just remove the blue dye from the cream colored stripes?

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 11:32AM
mrs-mjt

groomingal, What I meant to ask was will the dye just remove the blue jean bleed on the cream colored stripes or will it also change the color of the dark brown/tan stripes in the towels? I looked at a box of the dye at Wal-Mart and it sounded like it was to be used to remove color bleeds on whites ONLY so didn't know how it would impact the brown in the towels. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 1:47PM
jannie

I think it will remove the blue from the cream stripe but also remove a tiny bit of the brown. But if the brown is intense and dark enough you won't even notice. Good luck-you have nothing to lose since the towels appear to be a "lost cause" if you're unhappy with them as they are. At worst, you will gain some very absorbent rags from this experiment.

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 7:14PM
annie1971

I would try soaking them in Oxyclean. Mix some powder in a tub with water and let them soak. It won't hurt your original color and might remove the new dye color. It's worth a try. I've done this with other dye stains. Good luck with yours.

Annie

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 7:36PM
groomingal

I used mine on cream color towels and it didn't bleach the cream color. But since your towels are brown try as Annie suggested and soak them in Oxyclean first- if that doesn't work try one towel in the RIT color remover.

Hope it works!

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 9:35PM
mrs-mjt

Thanks for the tips! I'll try the Oxyclean.

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Sink Scratches
My white (porcelain?) sink gets silvery scratch marks...
jinnufr
How to rid house of dog smell
I'm doing a temporary rental (sold my house finally...
lisa77429
X smoker preparing house for Grand Baby
I need help! My son and daughter inlaw are expecting...
johndeere
Help! Lime Away hurt my sink!
Hi all, I had a new cleaning lady work in my cottage...
jlknovi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™