Blinds/shades that maintain view

Redsgal14March 3, 2013

We are finishing up our new build and I'm trying to figure out which blinds/shades to use. We bought the lot first and foremost for the wooded view. So I'm trying to figure out which blinds or shades I can use that will not restrict the view.
Ideally I would have something I can put down at night for privacy but put up during the day and you can't even see it. Does this exist?
Also, does anyone have experience with automated products that aren't outrageously expensive?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

Duettes collapse to almost nothing....

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 2:08PM
dekeoboe

I must be missing something, isn't that a tall fence in the backyard? If so, why are you worried about privacy in this room?

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 2:55PM
Redsgal14

No - it isn't a fence, it's a deck (and covered porch). Beyond that is the view...

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 3:02PM
Redsgal14

To your point 'dekeoboe', maybe we don't need window coverings in this room since it is wooded?
But, my master is right above this room, so I have the same issue and definitely need something on the windows to keep light from waking me up at sunrise.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 3:06PM
olivesmom

Is there anyone around to actually see in? It doesn't appear that you have nearby neighbors or anything. For rooms other than bedrooms and bathrooms I probably wouldn't put blinds or shades up, maybe some drapes at the side for decoration.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 3:08PM
crazy_in_mason

The accordian shades collapse into very little space and come in room darkening styles for the morning sun. I would leave the downstairs uncovered. I have been living in similar situation for 2 years and enjoy the view without the hassle of having to open it up every morning.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 3:29PM
dekeoboe

No - it isn't a fence, it's a deck (and covered porch). Beyond that is the view...

I am curious, what is the item beyond the deck railing and porch roof posts in the original picture? The item that is banded with white on the top and bottom.

What do the windows look like in the bedroom?

This post was edited by dekeoboe on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 21:20

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 9:17PM
done_again

We have blackout cellular shades by Levelor for our bedrooms and bathroom. When the blinds are up, there's only about 2 inches showing at the top of the window. They're great for keeping the light out and not overly expensive for custom made ones. They do nothing to dress up the window so don't expect anything more than function with them. The rest of our windows have nothing as privacy isn't really an issue.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 9:34PM
andry

I think that banded white is actully just the film on the window.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 11:05PM
kirkhall

I see the banded white too. Maybe it is a reflection of something interior? So strange as I totally thought there was a tall fence there too! But, after she posted the deck railing, I saw that in the pic.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 1:00AM
Redsgal14

The banded white is a film on the windows to protect them during construction.
doneagain, crazyinmason & olivesmom - thanks for the recommendations!

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 8:12AM
brickeyee

Roller shades or accordion shades are less than 2 inches tall at the to of the window, and can often be placed high enough to not block any of the glass area in double hung windows.

The top of the upper sash is usually wide enough, especially with the shades mounted on the window casing trim.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:34AM
virgilcarter

Would you consider nothing on the downstairs windows? Why have large grouped windows for sun and view, but covering them up? Put lights out into your yard for a night time view (and security).

For sleeping upstairs and keeping the light out, I'd use flush fit levelors or mini-blinds that blend with your wall and trim color so that they don't become eye sores in the wall plane.

Good luck!

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
Master bath/closet suggestions
My wife and I are planning on building a house. We...
stancial
Doorstopper Dillema
We moved in about 2 weeks ago and are really happy....
aimless07
Using a contractor question
My husband and I are wanting to build a home. We sat...
LullabyF360
Looking at houses in my hometown today
So today I went to my hometown and drove around looking...
mrspete
Need help with rigid foam and wall insulation
I am designing a house in Northern Arkansas and am...
josh02_2001
Sponsored Products
Geometry Wooden Shade Interior Pendant Light
ParrotUncle
Dale Tiffany Henderson Banker's Accent Lamp
Lamps Plus
Black/Brass Accents 21" Tru-Slim LED Art Light
$257.00 | Cocoweb
Sardinia Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Vigo Industries Frameless Adjustable Tub Door (56" - 60")
Modern Bathroom
AF Lighting Candice Olson Aviva Table Lamp - Black - 8427-TL
$338.00 | Hayneedle
Natural Espresso Roman-Style Fiber Shade
Overstock.com
Pagoda crimson tablecloth
Origin Crafts
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™