Showerhead Height - Quick Advice

motherof3inctApril 30, 2013

Yesterday my contractor asked me what height I wanted the fixed shower head to come out of the wall. Currently it is at 80" which works well for us. He recommended 7' (4" higher). He said that is the newer standard. My family is short (I am 5'1" and DH is 5'6"). I gave the go ahead to make the showerhead higher, but re-thinking my choice. I don't think it's too late to change. Am I making a mistake by keeping it low? He also recommended moving the tub valve trim 4" higher. That I think we will still do.

Funny, my contractor stood in the shower to demo the height for me. The 7' looked proportional for him....but he's like 6'3"!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mydreamhome

What are the shower dimensions? Is this a typical tub/shower combo setup? A lot depends on that. With that being said, we went with 7' in all our baths (2 have standard tub/shower combos & 1 is a standalone shower) and it works for us. DH & I are 5'4" & 5'8" tall, DS1 is 6'1" and still growing.

If you look, most everything in the bath is getting taller--vanities, toilets, tub height, so raising the shower head, controls and spout seems to make sense.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 1:52PM
motherof3inct

Thanks mydreamhome - DH felt strongly about keeping it in its current position. I let him win on this one :)

I never knew an inch here and there could take so much thought! My next decision was how high to hang the medicine cabinets....

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 2:43PM
lillo

I am doing my bath too and thinking about resale later on , so I went to 7 feet too especially that I am putting a rain can . It looks nicer higher . If you think that you will sell your house one day put it at a standard height .

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 2:52PM
KevinMP

I think code is really low. I came home during my reno and made my contractor move it up to 86", and I love it.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:25PM
attofarad

Hmmm.. mine is a 76" and I find it just fine. I'm 5'10".

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 12:39AM
KevinMP

I think that's standard, code height (at least here anyway). The reason I think higher works better (I'm just under 6') is that you can stand further from the shower and still have the water hit your head. When it's 76", you have to basically walk up to it or under it. It's hard to describe without experiencing both.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 8:19AM
busybee3

our fixed master shower head is at 86"... my hub is 6 3, so i wanted it higher... but, i love it at that ht too and i'm 5 9... i don't know, but i don't think the higher ht would 'detract' from the shower experience!

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 10:21AM
motherof3inct

I guess varying heights work for different people. I think i know what KevinMP is talking about when he says you need to walk into the spray. Our current shower heads are fixed and the spray does not extend out too far into the shower/tub. I see that as a positive thing for our family. I understand about resale value, but I doubt it would turn away potential buyers....but I have never looked at a house from a tall person's perspective.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 10:34AM
catbuilder

Put it where it works for you. If it doesn't work for someone in the future, it is easy enough to add a curved shower arm that changes the height of the head. It takes about a minute to change it out.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Photos of your finished bathrooms?
Is there anywhere on this site where people on this...
bixa2805
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
Help me finish designing bathroom
Need a little help and to ask if you think I'm heading...
fourhappy
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™