How to remove grout from granite?

decisionsdecisionsApril 9, 2011

When the contractor installed the backsplash and grout, he didn't do a very good job of removing the grout that got on the granite countertops. Now that the grout is dry as can be, how can I remove it from my granite countertops? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mosesco

I have just the right thing for you ...i brought in a good tile man a few month ago but the finishing touch and cleaning was neglected so i needed to do myself

i`ll send you the link to the cleaner i used

Here is a link that might be useful: grout cleaner

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 1:37PM
graywings123

That link is to a phosphoric acid cleaner. I would get some professional advice before using it on granite. You would be better off calling the contractor back in to clean up the mess he made.

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 12:20PM
decisionsdecisions

Thank you both. I read all the fine print on the grout cleaner Mosesco mentioned, but I have to admit, it made me too nervous to use on sealed granite. I also tried to get the contractor back in to clean his mess, but he wouldn't do it. Instead he suggested I get some muriatic acid and a stiff scrubbing brush and gloves and scrub it off. That, too, gave me pause. Thus, my post in the first instance as I was hoping there was another solution. Of course, if the contractor isn't off base with the muriatic acid recommendation, then the solution posed by Mosesco probably would work in the same manner.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 8:47PM
graywings123

How much grout are we talking about? Can you post some photos?

You might consider calling in someone else to do the work and then sue the contractor in small claims court. But first call him and tell him this is your plan.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 9:08AM
decisionsdecisions

A picture won't show the grout. It's just a thin invisible layer in various parts of the granite near the base of the backsplash that you can't really see but can feel in that the granite isn't cool and/or smooth there. I have no desire to sue the contractor in small claims court because in all other respects I was happy with his work.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
shower doors nightmare
Hello there. My boyfriend is about to sell his house,...
vacuumfreak
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
hard water marks on glasses
Can anyone tell me how to clean hard water marks from...
MIStepMom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™