dishwasher odor

tspitzerApril 19, 2008

Hi,

We got a new dishwasher in January and it does a good job cleaning the dishes but I have 2 problems with it that I am hoping you can help with

(1) I ran dishes in there a few weeks ago with some tomato sauce on the plates. It literally turned the interior of my dishwasher pink and I haven't been able to get rid of it.

(2) After it runs there is almost always an odor (wasn't there when it was brand new, but is there now). Its not a sewer odor, or a rotten odor, but more of hot plastic, and just doens't seem clean.

I have run it with vinegar, bleach, oxyclean, and lemonade mix (based on what I have read here and elsewhere). None of them have really significantly improved on either of these issues.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jobird

You might try:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dishwasher Magic

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 7:28AM
breenthumb

I'd call the store/manufacturer for sure. Neither staining nor hot plastic smell is normal--but I'm sure you know that. State in no uncertain terms that a hot plastic smell indicates it could be dangerous.

What "options" have you selected as far as heat cycles? Air dry? Raise water temp? Sanitize? Think I'd try a cycle with no extra heating whatsoever and see if it might be heater related. Who knows, might even be something broken and lodged near working parts (motor)causing overheating and smell.

If you haven't already done so, search/post on Appliance Fourm. Those people are really into appliances. Even some repair people who may be able to help. HTH, Sandy

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 5:56PM
albert_135

I have an old, old dishwasher that always has a smell of hot plastic when the dry heat cycle is on. It has worked fine for ten years otherwise. We never use the dry heat cycle.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 11:48AM
magothyrivergirl

Do you have a garbage disposal? If so, make absolutely sure you run the disposal completely and rinse well before using the dishwasher. Also, pour a few kettles / pans of boiling water down the disposal. Do this regularly - that will probably get rid of the smell, providing there isn't a mfr defect. Make sure nothing is nothing lodged in the bottom of the dishwasher - like a plastic lid or utensil that could be burning.
No suggestions for the discoloration.

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 9:34AM
whoooooooooosh

what make is your dishwasher?

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 6:17PM
sheilajoyce_gw

What brand of electric dishwasher detergent do you use?` I like Cascade, and it does have bleaching properties. Takes the tea stains out of my cups and teapots. It could be your detergent is too weak with the stains.

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™