Cleaning carpeted stairs

socksApril 22, 2010

What is the best way to clean carpeted stairs? We have a regular upright vacuum with hose, but managing that piece of equipment down a flight of stairs sounds difficult. Is there an easier way?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

I drag out my canister vacuum for stairs. Set it up at bottom of stairs, attach hose and work up the stairs. I find the hose has enough suction to get that "corner" between the stairs and risers clean. And that's important with a dog and a cat in the house. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 8:49AM
lazy_gardens

Vacuum bottom to top using the hose and a head with no brushes and use the crevice tool for the corners

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 11:11AM
oilpainter

There is nothing like a hand held vacuum or a small canister that can be set on end for stairs. I have a small ureka that I use. I bought it for $89. You need one that has all the tools with it. No heavy vacuum to lug and you have the brush and crevice tool on hand to give it a good cleaning

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 1:17PM
busybee3

great tip given to me by a housecleaner once was to use a large, slightly damp sponge and rub steps to get off dog/cat fur(after vacuuming if the steps have dirt on them)....works really well!

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 10:07AM
julie999

A small hand-held turbo brush with any sort of vacuum cleaner (I now have a cannister, but used to have an upright) is the best solution I have found. A long vacuum hose makes it easier. And we have a sweet, otherwise perfect, golden retriever who sheds like crazy.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
How Do You Clean Whirlpool Jets??
We're building a new house and have ordered a whirlpool...
MrsBigE
Mold/ Mildew out of clothing, Can it be done?
I have a pink and a blue shirt that were not unpacked...
saphire
Removing Stains Caused by Stain Removers - Carpet
Hi all, What's the best way to remove stains on a Sofa,...
afrolawnmower
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
How to Clean a Disgusting Plastic Shower Floor
I have purchased a property that has what I believer...
lgal63
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™