Shower Door Help - Side panel or no? Bar or Pull?

KKPerryApril 25, 2012

Hello -

I've been spending more time on the kitchen forum during my whole house remodeling, but the bathroom questions are coming up. I've read through the many posting about frame-less shower doors but couldn't find help for these specific issues (lots of help on other questions though - thanks!#

GLASS

We have a 4x6 walk in shower in the Master Bathroom, and will be having a hinged door. Due to the chairrail my husband requested #so we could vary the tile pattern to avoid "boring" beige tile) we now have a challenge with the door swing.

Option A - Fixed panel with hinged door to tile - requires notching the chair rail and will not swing open as fully/stay open.

Option B - Fixed panel and the hinged door attached to a 6" side panel.

We'd prefer not to notch the tile (makes the wall tile pattern awkward outside the glass) but are concerned about the sturdiness of the side panel.

HARDWARE

Any thoughts about having a double towel bar as the "pull". All the pictures seem to show a pull and I can appreciate not wanting to "disrupt" the clear view provided by the glass but functionality kicks in at some point - we have no close point to have full shower bars. Just wondering if someone put in towel bars and regrets the look - hard to find pictures.

THANKS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

We did a shower that had a trim piece that stuck out beyond the tile profile (like a chair rail would), so I just stopped the trim short of where the door would attach and used normal tile in that section. If your wall continued on, you could start it up again after the door.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 1:33PM
chays

If you have a towel bar, it will hit the wall if the door is hinged on the wall. You'll have to do a handle in that case.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 8:34PM
ShellKing

KKperry, what did you decide to do? How does it look? I have a similar issue with my chair rail and my glass shower door. Maybe I ought to consult the glass company before the tile is finished to see what they think.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 1:29PM
kisu

I used what is called a combo. On the outside it is a towel bar. on the inside it is a pull.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
What was hidden under my old bathroom floor!
When the contractor pulled up the tile on my old bathroom...
dancingcook
108 year old claw foot tub stamped HYS
I've been having a very hard time trying to identify...
flippincrazy
anyone know this brand for shower fixtures?
Trying to get a replacement part. Bathroom remodel...
jormydog
Kohler Elevance Tub - for disabled - gorgeous
Pretty new product from Kohler. anyone who is looking...
elphaba_gw
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
Sponsored Products
Terrene Mercury Blend 1x1 Glass Tiles
$15.95 | TileBar
Coastal Shower Doors Shower Enclosures Legend Series 23 in. x 64 in. Framed
Home Depot
Remer by Nameeks J07 Tub Filler with Hand Shower - REMER J07
$479.00 | Hayneedle
Shower Curtain Artistic - The Red Bus Vokswagon
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Hudson Reed Asia Teak Serenity Stool With Shelf
Hudson Reed