?? for those who use home made cleaners

DLM2000April 27, 2009

Most of my cleaning products have been replaced as they run out and I use vinegar and/or baking soda for just about everything and find they work just fine. The exception is in my tiled shower stall. I used to spray on a cleaner then using a soft scrubbie sponge to clean the tile and grout and remove soap/shampoo/conditioner/body oil residue. Baking soda sprinkled in a sink or tub works great but there's a lot of vertical tile space in a shower and the baking soda isn't working well - most of it ends up on the floor. I find vinegar doesn't work well as a cleaner on the tile.

What have you used with success? Ease of application is a big part of this, too. It was nice to have something that began working as it was sprayed. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ebear1271

I use Bon Ami which is similar to baking soda but seems not to end up on the floor as much. It also doesn't require as much elbow grease. There are also recipes online using baking soda and vinegar and making them into a paste. The Bon Ami is my favorite so far. I just wet a sponge and shake some on.

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 2:24PM
kaymoyer

I use Bon Ami on many things, as it dose NOT scrath. I especially like it on the stove top, the brown grease spots, cleans and leaves no soap film. Just yesterday, while washing the car, there was a spill from something (?) on the door that would not wash off, got the Bon Ami, and it was gone. The local store I always buy it from, no longer carries it, can anyone tell me where to find it?
Thanks,K

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 4:31AM
green_clean_queen

I think you are on the right track using the baking soda but need to use a micro-fiber cloth because it will hold on to the baking soda better. Vinegar is good for hard-water stains but will not remove the oils.

Also, a solution with washing soda can work if the baking soda is not strong enough. Baking soda is sodium bi-carbonate, washing soda is sodium carbonate, and Oxy-clean is sodium per-carbonate. They are all related and safe for the environment.

Oxy-clean is a non-chlorine bleach and eliminates the use of any chlorine bleach products. I use it with my Soap-it Nuts and also sprinkle it in the bottom of my sink to whiten it.

Cheers!

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 9:22AM
vfk_989

I use soap nuts on about everything. I found a whole list of uses on www.survive2010recession.com. They have a lot of uses, are eco friendly and cheap too!

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 2:10AM
More Discussions
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
removing dog urine smell
My aister, who works full time, has had a live in nanny....
cearab
shower doors nightmare
Hello there. My boyfriend is about to sell his house,...
vacuumfreak
Removing Stains Caused by Stain Removers - Carpet
Hi all, What's the best way to remove stains on a Sofa,...
afrolawnmower
Jetted Tub Cleaning - I'm at my end point!
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been posted...
Auroras_Envy
Sponsored Products
Shark S3901 Professional Steam Pocket Mop - 622356528696
$149.99 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Whitman Pendant
Serena & Lily
Copeland Furniture | Astrid Platform Bed - Queen
YLiving.com
Greenington | Currant Round Coffee Table
YLiving.com
Serena & Lily Goodman Pendant
Serena & Lily