Venting a gas dryer

renov8rApril 29, 2014

We have bought a new gas dryer and wondering about venting it. We are renovating and we have studs and only the sub floor down at the moment.
Is it dangerous to vent it into the attached garage. We live in an older home, so there is lots of air circulation in the garage. It would be a direct pipe just on the other side of the dryer through the cement wall.
The other way is to vent it down through the floor, through the crawl space and outside the kitchen. It would mean a bend in the exhaust pipe and it would be very close to the back garden door. I have heard that it will cause a build up of lint when there is a bend in the pipe.
What is the best method?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
llaatt22

If your contractors have pulled all the permits to legally undertake your renovation, you might want to discuss your ideas with them, the building office, and your gas company. Getting it done right (to code) before the building inspector and gas people show up is usually money well spent.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 5:41PM
weedmeister

Venting a gas dryer into an enclosed space like a garage would be like routing the exhaust of your car into your bedroom.

You'll sleep well.

I wouldn't do it.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 9:30PM
Muffett

My gas dryer is vented down and across through a crawl space - all solid metal good sized duct. No issues with performance. I have access to the elbow for cleaning as needed.

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
Cabinet front dishwashers
We are putting in two cabinet-front dishwashers in...
mwinfield
Daily Luxury Convenience (Combi Steam) vs. Tried & True Dbl Oven
I asked questions about the steam oven last month....
lawjedi
Need help picking out the right appliances
Hi Im trying to decide on a slide in electric double...
Julie Hall
Does Anyone have the Wolf Range with a Griddle?
I've got one and I find the grease doesn't drip into...
sbedelman
Bosch benchmark speed oven review?
Just thought I'd ask if anyone has a Bosch benchmark...
crl_
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™