Cleaning 50+ year old pine tongue and groove

pupwhippedApril 11, 2009

We bought a lake home that has this 50+ year old tongue and groove pine wood. We have been remodeling different areas (kitchen, bath) of the house and now need to clean every square inch of this wood. What product would you suggest using to clean the pine? I've seen stuff on QVC like Rejuvenation and some other product I can't remember the name of. They make it look good! Course, there's always the Murphy's Oil Soap I like. I really just want to get all the sheet rock dust off, remove 50+ years of grime, and give the wood some moisture...give it some lovin that I'm sure it hasn't had in decades. I really don't want a real shiny look...not into shiny. Also, I'm only gonna do this once, so I want to make sure I get it right the first time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

pupwhipped

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I would dust it well and then use mineral spirits which will remove all greasy grime and won't cloud the finish.
Then finish up with a very VERY light coating of paste wax.....carefully you don't want to get wax into the grooves....just on the surface.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 7:37PM
pupwhipped

Thanks Linda. Mineral spirits, huh? Never used that...I am definitely not into cleaning. I'm sure that's apparent. HA! Got alot of this wood to do. Maybe I will learn to love cleaning by the time it's over.

pup

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 10:51AM
albert_135

I personally prefer old wood.

I would ask some wood care people in addition to cleaning people.

At Home Forums gardenweb has some forums where one might inquire.

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 11:07AM
pupwhipped

Thanks. I've now posted my question on the Woodworking forum. Maybe I will get a different perspective there.

pup

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 9:51PM
kaymoyer

I have kotty pine tounge and grove in my family room it was here 30 years ago when we bought. We smoke, and I just recently cleaned the room, using a mixture of 1/4 C. Murphys oil soap to a quart of water. I heated it to fairly hot, and put it in a spray bottle, sprayed an area at a time, and then rinsed down with a pail of murphys oil water ( 1/4 C to a gallon) usng a microfiber cloth, and that cloth was Yellow every time. I could feel the drag of the dirt comming off, then with rinsing, it would be real smooth. I did have to keep cleaning the rag with degreasser with every new bucket of rinse soultion. The room looked great when I was finished. It was some work, but well worth it.
Kay

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 5:17AM
eteinne

Hi,
If you are going to try the paste was after the cleaning, I'll give you a tip I used when growing up. We had 4 types of hardwood and 3 were tongue and groove. Take an old pair of panyhose, cut off the foot, and place a tablespoon of the paste wax in it, heat it with your hand, and this will keep the wax out of the grooves. Keep turning the sock so that the side against your hand is the warmest side. The more pressure you apply the thicker the coat and the less pressure, the thinner. It's just a thought.

Good Luck!

Steve

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
How do you clean your oven racks?
I just ran the self-cleaning feature on my Gaggenau...
kawfeeaddict
Castile Soap Dilemma
This has probably been gone over, but I would like...
harlowolivia
onions on wood cutting board odor removal?
I tried searching and haven't seen this-- We use a...
sheilaaus122
Dishes smell 'fishy' after dishwasher
All my dishes and flatware have a funky sort of odor...
michelle_phxaz
Dirty Coffeemaker Sickness!
Warning: This Is NASTY! So I make a pot of coffee everyday...
tomatozilla
Sponsored Products
Philippe Sainte-Laudy 'Speaking of Tongues' Canvas art
Overstock.com
STERLING Bathtubs Doors ADA Shower 39-5/8 in. x 63-1/4 in. x 73-1/4 in. 4-Piece
Home Depot
La Phillippe Counter Height Dining Table
Overstock.com
STERLING Bathtubs Ensemble Medley 60 in. x 31.25 in. x 74.25 in. 4-piece Tongue
Home Depot
Caroline Entertainment Chest
$1,599.00 | Horchow
Patagonia Dining Table
Overstock.com
Sterling Ensemble 72110106 42W x 75.75H in. Shower Module with Age in Place Back
$904.64 | Hayneedle
Shires Equestrian Dr Bristol Eggbutt Bit - 555-4.5
$39.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™