New Home Starter Kit

mechanicsApril 2, 2013

We'll be moving into our new home in a couple months and I want to be ready to keep it clean.

What products would you recommend for easy cleaning and maintenance if you were starting from scratch for the following:

granite countertops
white painted cabinets
stained cabinets
hardwood floors
ceramic tile floors and walls

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lodalady

Target sells a countertop cleaner for granite, and I really like it. I've been struggling to find something that works for my pre-finished hardwood floors. If your hardwood is prefinished, do NOT use oil soap nor wax. The oil soap will leave a film and the wax will build up. I've tried the Bona, and the jury is still out on it.

I recently purchased a Shark steam cleaner, and while some my love theirs, I did not. I was not pleased that it only had one steam port and the head did not swivel. I returned it, went to Amazon.com and bought a Haan. It has seventeen ports and swivels. Plus, the flat head fits under the kick plate of the cabinets. I love the Haan, and I think it is all I will be using on my floors.

Many people opposed to using a steam cleaner on hardwood,, and I would not use it on anything without a sealed finish, but the steam evaporates within 15 seconds max, and faster with the ceiling fans on high.

A steam cleaner should work for tile floors and walls as well. The one I bought coverts to hand held and has additional attachments.

Good Luck!

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™