New Home Starter Kit

mechanicsApril 2, 2013

We'll be moving into our new home in a couple months and I want to be ready to keep it clean.

What products would you recommend for easy cleaning and maintenance if you were starting from scratch for the following:

granite countertops
white painted cabinets
stained cabinets
hardwood floors
ceramic tile floors and walls

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lodalady

Target sells a countertop cleaner for granite, and I really like it. I've been struggling to find something that works for my pre-finished hardwood floors. If your hardwood is prefinished, do NOT use oil soap nor wax. The oil soap will leave a film and the wax will build up. I've tried the Bona, and the jury is still out on it.

I recently purchased a Shark steam cleaner, and while some my love theirs, I did not. I was not pleased that it only had one steam port and the head did not swivel. I returned it, went to Amazon.com and bought a Haan. It has seventeen ports and swivels. Plus, the flat head fits under the kick plate of the cabinets. I love the Haan, and I think it is all I will be using on my floors.

Many people opposed to using a steam cleaner on hardwood,, and I would not use it on anything without a sealed finish, but the steam evaporates within 15 seconds max, and faster with the ceiling fans on high.

A steam cleaner should work for tile floors and walls as well. The one I bought coverts to hand held and has additional attachments.

Good Luck!

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
How to Clean a Disgusting Plastic Shower Floor
I have purchased a property that has what I believer...
lgal63
Removing Stains Caused by Stain Removers - Carpet
Hi all, What's the best way to remove stains on a Sofa,...
afrolawnmower
Film on glasses from dishwasher: etched?
The drinking glasses now look cloudy. I have been using...
linnea56
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Need Suggestions: How Do I Get Smell Out Of Pet Bed?
Not sure where to post this. Needs suggestions. Got...
peabody1
Sponsored Products
Cosby Loveseat - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Crown Stair Rod Finials - Set of 2
Signature Hardware
Classic Cocktail Set
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Diamond Bronze Glass 4" LED Retrofit Recessed Kit for Nora
Lamps Plus
Cream/natural linen brittany tablecloth
Origin Crafts
Serta Revival Pillowtop Full-size Mattress and Foundation Set
Overstock.com
Jaipur Mythos Selene Traditional Oriental Pattern Wool Tufted Rug - ROV005019-00
$152.00 | Hayneedle
Meadow Oushak Rug 12' x 15'
Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™