Please help, bought a hood on line and it might not work for me

Mayax68April 4, 2013

Hi, I bought a Zephyr Venezia wall hood on line after reading so much good stuff about Zaphyrs here and only now noticed that the spec says min ceiling height is 96 inches. I only have 92 inches.

Do I have to return the hood now? Or can I still make it work somehow?
I called the online and the answer was not very clear, basically they did not know.

Here is a link to the hood. http://www.appliancesconnection.com/zephyr-zvee30bs-i193283.html

Thank you
Maya.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jwvideo

Relax. The sky is not falling. Just RTFM.

Specifically, see page 6 of the Use, Care and Installation Guide. To find it, just follow your own link and look for the "Info & Guides" tab.

For anybody who finds manuals to be opaque and undecipherable, page 6 discloses that a 96" ceiling height is the spec when you install the recirculation kit BUT 89" is the spec when you are installing a "real" vent." That recirculation kit adds a 5" or 6" tall, louvered vent-band to the top of the "chimney." You won't use that band when venting to the outside. The manual says that 89" is the height when using a "real" vent. So, you will set the hood at 29" above the stove, which is 3" higher than the 26" minimum height-above-the-stove hood and a good thing if you folks are tall. (FYI, page 6 also discloses that the recommendation is that the hood be set somewhere between 26" and 34" above the cooktop.) Now that you know where it is, please read the manual to verify this.

Of course, if you want to put the hood higher above the stove/cooktop, then you just cut off some of the top of the "chimney." That stainless chimney is just a cover to hide the ducting. Its only real function is cosmetic.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 17:51

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
Wolf oven error on self clean: TCO detect as open
I've had two Wolf E series for nearly 2 years (single...
repac
Single Electric Wall Oven: WHY is it so hard to find a good one?
Hi everyone! We are finally WELL underway with our...
lovelylinguist
48" Wolf, Thermador or Bluestar...or something else?
Looking into purchasing a 48" range. Wolf: Classic....
wren21
steam damage to cabinets from steam oven or warming drawer?
When we had a kitchenaid dishwasher, the hot moist...
houztongirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™