larger tiles for tub/shower surround

lisachipApril 9, 2014

We are torn between using standard 3x6 subway tiles vs 4x12 tiles for our tub/shower surround. The alcove tub's short walls are 32 inches wide so we would end up with only 2 1/2 tiles on these sides. We love the look of larger more modern tiles and also want to use a brick layout of the tiles as well so wondering how this would look. Any thoughts on having two shorter walls with longer tiles? Would this look too off?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrueter

I think it will be fine. If the wall was 36" and you did the brick layout every other row will be three full tiles, but the other rows will be two full tiles and two half tiles on each end.

In your case you really have 2 2/3 tiles, so I would stagger the joints so each row has two full tiles and one cut tile. The odd rows will line up with the cut tiles on the right side, and the even rows on the left, for example.

You might try mocking it up on a piece of paper or asking your tiler or tile supplier for their input as well.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 4:32PM
lisachip

Thank you irueter, I did try a mock up this afternoon, great idea. I really don't want more grout lines to clean and I love the look of the larger tile!

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 8:07PM
gildee

Here's a picture of 6" x 16" tiles around my tub mid-grout. Contractor had to center tiles in brick pattern on short wall, since the tiles on the long wall didn't end perfectly. I wanted bigger subway tiles too.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 2:21AM
enduring

Gildee, do you mean you wanted larger subways than what you have installed? I think the scale of what you show is perfect in your situation.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
Suggestions - Eliminating Jack and Jill Bath in New Construction
Looking for suggestions on eliminating a Jack and Jill...
burbmomoftwo
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Quality Pocket Door Frames?
(Please accept my apology for the duplicate post -...
ahmnj
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™