Is UVA Mosquito Killer Bad For Your Health?

borVACApril 4, 2013

It seems this summer will bring a lot of mosquitoes to my house and that's why I plan on getting mosquito killer - the device with 2 lamps and UAV lamp that you hang next to your window. I uploaded picture to show you what appliance I am talking about.

However I have read that mosquito killer with ultra violet lamp is bad for your health and I wonder how bad it can be. I heard that watching UVA is not good but didn't find the explanation why would it be so. The appliance is said to be 30% more effective with UVA lamp than without it.

Any ideas as to why would UVA be bad for health?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jwvideo

Are you perhaps thinking about UV from sunlight?

And, will this unit be a substitute for tv in the summer where you will be watching bugs get zapped hours at a time?

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 1:04PM
weedmeister

Is is the UV you are worried about, or all the exploded mosquito carcasses spread around the room?

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 4:06PM
nerdyshopper

I suppose the ultra violet light might cause the same effect as a sunburn after enough time at very close range. If I wanted such a gadget, I would consider a screen for the area where it is mounted and limit my exposure behind the screen. I'm not sure UV attracts mosquitos, but if it doesn't do a perfect job you will still have a few coming in an open window. Or are you trying to attract them after they have already gotten in? In that case you couldn't use a screen. We used to have a problem before the county set up a mosquito control board and pretty well wiped out the breeding grounds. When we had them we use a towel to smack them when one or two got in.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
Gaggenau or Miele combi steam oven?
We are renovating our kitchen and are planning on a...
Treblemaker
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
Daily Luxury Convenience (Combi Steam) vs. Tried & True Dbl Oven
I asked questions about the steam oven last month....
lawjedi
Fisher Paykel Dishwasher Drawers-do you have them?
I am in need of guidance. From what I can gather, it's...
beekeeperswife
48" Wolf, Thermador or Bluestar...or something else?
Looking into purchasing a 48" range. Wolf: Classic....
wren21
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™