How long do bathtubs last?

legallinApril 3, 2012

Recently bought a home built around 1989-1990 and will redo the guest bath (new vanities, sinks, faucets, toilet, tile, etc.). The bathtub seems in OK condition, although it is bone or some sort of tan (would prefer white). Not sure what kind or quality -- it is a typical built-in 5' tub. One one hand, it seems silly to tear out a perfectly good bathtub. On the other, it seems silly to do a total remodel and NOT to put in a new tub. What would you suggest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jsmith123

New baths can come with 25 year guarantees always check with the manufactuerers though as they change. Personally i wouldn't do a bathroom remodel and not replace the bath. The new suite will be in white so a tan bath will detract from a modern bathroom design. I would say remodel the whole suite including the bath.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 6:06AM
brickeyee

"One one hand, it seems silly to tear out a perfectly good bathtub."

Sell it or donate.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 11:49AM
mahatmacat1

agree with the above posters--definitely change the tub and donate the one you have now. If there's no organized Habitat ReStore or something like that in your neighborhood, try craigslist. We got rid of a green tub with holes in it with multiple requestors in about 10 minutes. We were going to use it as an ironic garden bed but then said ugh and let other people take it for their yard. Good luck with your remodel!

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 12:48PM
legallin

Thanks! Appreciate the input. That was pretty much what I felt, but it will help to show DH who may be more difficult to convince!

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 3:46AM
More Discussions
Shower screen
I am looking to change my bathroom from a separate...
timcar
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
Tile or what for top of shower bench and knee wall?
We are remodeling our master bath and will have a shower...
risforremodel
encaustic tile install?
I've fallen in love with these tiles but am completely...
daisychain01
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™