Bleaching Concrete?

lafilmfanApril 7, 2008

I have a question which I haven't seen adressed in any of the forums. It may not be purely a cleaning question, but I think this is the best forum.

About a year ago, my city laid new sidewalks on the street. Everyone else got whiteish gray sidewalks and it all looks nice. Unfortunately, right in front of my building, the sidewalk has very large black or dark brown blotches. I've waited about a year for them to fade, but they are definitely permanent.

I've written to the city as well as the concrete contractor the city used, and I've heard nothing back at all. So my question is, can I do something about this myself? Is there any way to bleach out the dark blotches in the sidewalk? Would I rather need to cover them up in some fashion? I would guess that turning them whiter is the easier thing to do, but I'm really at a loss here.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

I don't think anything will bleach concrete. Contact your city again. Or you can paint concrete.

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 6:23PM
rusty_grower

I just cleaned my concrete in front of my garage, I couldn't stand how dirty it looked but I refuse to use toxic cleaners like bleach outside the home, a friend recomended a eco-safe product called mold & mildew wash by wash safe industries, I soaked it down, let it sit for a while then scrubbed it with a deck brush and hosed it off. It's white as can be, maybe it will work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.wash-safe.com

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 9:14PM
lindac

Under my deck is a concrete patio that would get awful, yukky, stained from wet leaves that sat over the winter.
Clorine bleach fixed it in an hour or less.
And remember that "toxic" clorine bleach is the same thing that's in your swimming pool, some dishwashing detergents and used to purify some municipal drinking water.
Just pour on the bleach, let it dry and rinse.
BUT if the stain is paint or oil or tar, it won't touch it.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 11:42AM
lafilmfan

It's not a stain per se. The concrete in this area was never uniformly whitish/gray. It cured with dark blotches over about half of it. So I don't think it needs to be cleaned, it really needs to have the concrete bleached out or maybe recoated with concrete? Would that work?

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 12:15PM
kimcoco

We have a concrete sill that is dingy looking and some stain marks on our lannonstone that surrounds our front door - my husband cleaned them both with CLR and they look good as new. He had to do a little scrubbing with a wire brush, but with a little patience it looked good as new. Hopefully the colors you are referring to aren't permanent.

Good luck.

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 1:06AM
More Discussions
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™