Quality Door Knobs - Better Home Products?

kendog2March 15, 2012

We're in the process of replacing our brass finish door hardware with satin nickel. We bought some door knobs on Ebay. They are from Better Home Products and are made in China. I bought these knobs because they're advertised as all metal and include a 25 year warranty. So far, I'm not too impressed. The finish on the deadbolts is rough. We installed just one knob on a bathroom door to try it out. It looks nice but the privacy knob doesn't rotate as smoothly as I'd hoped. Only ten days after installation the door knob squeaks when turned. I know you get what you pay for but since we're on a very tight budget, I had hoped to save some money.

Despite the cost of shipping, I'm tempted to send everything back and replace with Schlage hardware. I've read good reviews about Schlage. Our old hardware was Kwikset and lasted only a few years.

Has anyone had experience with the Better Home Products door hardware? I wonder if it would function better if I greased the mechanisms before installing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

mechanism is probably plastic and grease would have no effect

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 12:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kendog2

The description states that it is all metal. My husband said that maybe the metal is really thin or the parts aren't milled with enough precision to fit well together.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
Shook Hill Plan Modifications -- input please!
Hi -- We are just sitting down to the drawing board...
Emptynesteralmost
Is the 'remote' home office worth it?
We need an office for DH that is away from the day-to-day...
edwardshome
Banquette seating by Ballard /Coventry line
Has anyone purchased banquette seating through this...
mrspete
Master Bath revisions
Which revision do you like better? There can only be...
edwardshome
Please help critique this floor plan.
Hi all. We are hoping to break ground within the next...
daboyd4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™