Cleaning an All-Wool Oriental Rug

CassandraApril 15, 2007

What's the best way to clean a wool oriental rug? My two rugs are good quality machine made and get little traffic. I vacuum them regularly and wipe up any spills immediately. I'd like to deep clean them every so often but I'm suspicious of the spray on foam-type cleaners. It seems to me they just add a layer of sticky goop and don't really clean. I'd like to clean them myself--not hire professionals. Any advice appreciated, and thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

The best advice is "don't"....if you don't want to hire a pro, they will be a lot better and stay cleaner if you do nothing....just keep vacuuming well, turn them over on a hard surface, with the pile down and vacuum the back with an upright with a beater bar....you will be surprised at what shakes out!
Wool is self cleaning....that is the wool ised for carpets is coarse...slippery and stuff doesn't stick to the fibers.
My mother would occasionally take a damp cloth, dampened in a very weak vinegar solution and wipe the rugs with the grain of the weave...she felt better about it.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 5:37PM
Cassandra

Linda, this seems like good advice. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 9:55AM
carla17

Is dry cleaning bad for them. I think that is what I would do but the advice above sounds good.

Carla

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 9:59PM
lindac

Only if you don't have a cleaner expecienced in fine hand made oriental rugs is it bad.
I remember when I was a kid, the Oriental rug dealer always had a rug out on the sidewalk for passersby to walk on. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I fell in love with them...and realize how sturdy they really are.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 5:59PM
lindac

Before you wipe down a rug with a weak vinegar solution....know what the dyes are. One of my rugs a Hamadan, is made with vegetable dyes ( at least I think that's what they are) that run when wet. Before you do anything, take a damp cloth and wipe one colored spot to see if any dye comes off on the white cloth.
Perhaps my rug has been redyed? Don't know...
Linda C

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 6:03PM
gibby2015

I take mine to a professional rug launderer - very rarely. Otherwise just vacuum and spot clean with plain water. Occasionally I spot clean with a Stainmaster rug cleaning kit but not very often. I have dark patterned rugs for a reason - so they don't show stains.

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
How to rid house of dog smell
I'm doing a temporary rental (sold my house finally...
lisa77429
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™