How do you clean Dog Nose Prints

peabody1April 23, 2007

Is there an easier way to clean dog nose prints off of windows, glass sliding doors, and plastic doggie doors? I've used vinegar, windex, lysol....but all require lots and lots of elbow grease and you have to keep spraying and spraying and spraying. Is there an easier way? I don't know what is in the residue that they leave behind, but it sure is hard to clean.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
centralcacyclist

I have the same problem with my French door and side windows. I use Kaboom the first pass around. It cuts through the dried dog nose and drool without any scrubbing. Let it sit for a minute. Then I can use regular glass cleaner for the no-streak clean up.

I use straight ammonia and a sturdy scrub brush on my patio where my large dog eats.

I've also heard that a paste of meat tenderizer and water will work, too.

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 5:39PM
gammyt

Hmmm... I just use plain old blue windex and don't let it build up.

Once a week does the trick and no elbow grease is required.

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 7:25PM
gailee

The Kaboom worked, thank you. One of the great things about this forum, is finding other people have the same problems as I do. I would never have thought to write in about my nose prints.L.O.L. Gail

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 11:51AM
centralcacyclist

I have a large drooling Yellow Lab. Once her "emissions" dry they are like epoxy! They are all over the floor, the glass, the patio. I've tried all kinds of things. Dishwasher detergent also worked because of the enzymes in it but it was too difficult to get the residue off. I was pleased to find that Kaboom did the trick.

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 12:38PM
malia_2006

All you need is a microfiber cloth and water. Get it damp under warm water and clean away. Just a simple wipe will remove all those nose prints in a flash, and leave any window or door sparkling. No streaks ever with these, and no chemicals either. Try it for yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: microfiber cleaning cloth

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 1:14PM
brutuses

I concur with Malia. It works wondefully.

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 11:36PM
greenfumbers4fowbers

OP said: "I don't know what is in the residue that they leave behind, but it sure is hard to clean."

Some might say it's hard to clean. I say, "No, it's snot."

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Bookmark   April 29, 2007 at 8:16PM
macbirch

LOL

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 4:52AM
centralcacyclist

Yep, the microfiber cloth with window cleaner worked nicely, too. I wouldn't use it with just water, I need to KNOW it's clean.

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 1:02PM
christy2828

I agree with the microfiber. Plus, if you have a toddler, just spray the window with water, leave her with the microfiber cloth and she'll have fun for at least 10 minutes!! And it is safe :) Christy

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 9:22PM
grandmaquilts

I bought two microfiber cloths at the dollar store yesterday - a dollar each and they work wonders.

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 12:22PM
caroline94535

I use Windex.

Bookmark   May 4, 2007 at 10:52AM
jxbrown

After you get the windows clean (I've used a razor blade scraper...), apply Rain-X at doggie level. Future nose goo will bead up and roll off for months.

Bookmark   May 5, 2007 at 6:00PM
iasheff

I had to laugh when I came across this!! I think I am the queen of having nose prints! We have a Bernese Mtn Dog and 2 boxers-- when they are outside, they are standing with their noses against the door begging to come in and if they are inside, they are standing with their noses pushed against the inside of the door begging to go out!!

We have French doors that have all 15 individual windows for each door. What I found that works the best for me is to mix a few drops of dishwashing detergent mixed in a small bucket of warm water. I use a microfiber cloth to wash the windows and then dry with another microfiber cloth. My biggest problem is the dogs lick the windows LOL The cleaner the windows are, the more they like to lick them!! The boxers are the worst!! But they have also taught the berner some of their bad habits LOL

Bookmark   September 26, 2007 at 12:00PM
catbird

And I thought we were the only ones with nose prints on patio doors and windows. Our "chowbrador" leaves not only nose prints, but also huge muddy streaks after a rain. I'm going to try my microfiber window cleaning cloths (from Solutions.com) tomorrow! ;-)

Bookmark   September 26, 2007 at 10:57PM
centralcacyclist

I think people who don't have drooly large dogs don't appreciate how tenacious dog nose and drool can be.

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 12:19AM
jannie

Another vote for plain old blue Windex.

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 1:29PM
iasheff

Windex doesn't cut Boxer slobber :)

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 6:11PM
centralcacyclist

Windex doesn't cut Lab slobber either. LOL! Foam glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth does an okay job.

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 6:28PM
acorn

LOL and I thought it was only me. I tell everyone it is milk glass, saves time and windex.

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 2:09PM
RikWCrlsn_aol_com

Oven Cleaner does an AWESOME JOB!!! Spray let sit and wipe....

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 3:03PM
brunosonio

And we just have 2 little Jack Russells who leave nose prints everywhere in the house and cars...it still takes some elbow grease with Windex to get rid of them. I can imagine what some of the larger breeds would leave with their big noses!

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 1:09AM
Wondergirl1958

I carefully read all you helpful comments and tried a few but finally came across the easiest method ever -and I'm a very lazy housewife. Chux make a product called a Magic Eraser that cleans the gunk off in 2 minutes! All you do is just add water and then wipe it off. Follow up with a window cleaner like Windex and hey presto - you can see through again. I love my German short haired pointers and now I can have easily cleaned windows too.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 2:07AM
gr8daygw

We have a big golden retriever who loves to pant and hang out the window in the SUV and my other dog will sometimes put his nose on the windows in the car. It's awful!!! Especially if we go on a run and she is really letting it all hang out dripping everywhere. Since she loves the window down so she can hang out (just her head) it's all over the side of the car too. People with small dogs have no idea!!! It's a constant cleanup on aisle 5!!! But I love my big girl, she is such a sweetie. It could be worse. She is rather clean about herself otherwise. She just loves the SUV and going for long hot walks. We have lots of water for her in the car and we rest on our walks if she chases too many squirrels and wears herself out. Fun for us both but lots of noses and drool to clean up. Going to try the Kaboom since I've tried all the other things.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 7:39PM
julie999

Sprayway Glass Cleaner ;-)

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 11:59AM
peabody1

This is an old post, but I'll throw my two cents in here. I tried everything. Then I tried a microfiber cloth and a little water on it. The only thing that worked.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 11:05AM
More Discussions
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Toilet hard water stains
We have a 1/2 bath that rarely is used, so there's...
nelles_gw
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
Help! Lime Away hurt my sink!
Hi all, I had a new cleaning lady work in my cottage...
jlknovi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™