Shower Pan vs. Tile

GreenDog194April 8, 2012

I dread having a shower with a floor made of tiles and grout lines. I bet it could be made waterproof with something I've heard called "kerdi." But that would not avoid a life time of going after grout. (Is there a bombproof grout out there?)

I think I like the idea of a shower pan.

Our house is a 50s house and we are going with a mix of clean / contemporary and staying as true to the Midcentury as we can in our remodel. We will add a new bathroom in the lower level that will have a shower and no bath.

I saw this shower pan and thought it looked great:

http://www.ukbathrooms.com/shop/showers/shower_trays_2/products/matki_new_continental_40_shower_tray.html

http://www.westonebathrooms.co.uk/showers/shower-trays/

Trouble is these seem to all be European models. Anyone see anything similar in the US?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbcollins

Yes, go to your local HD or Lowes.

We done it twice and would do it again. This one was a 48" pan and we added a seat in the space between the pan and the wall:

This one replaced a full size tub.

Oops, and yes it's the same tile in both showers. Different houses. I used it again for another house. I keep telling myself I need to pick something different but for some reason I am drawn to this tile - probably the price :)

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 8:13AM
ellejay_2007

I love what you've done with the pan - how are you finding the shower curtain vs. having a glass door? I want to do this with my shower and my husband thinks the curtain will blow all over the place.

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 8:47AM
barbcollins

HI ellejay,

The shower curtain works fine. I've had shower doors before and prefer a curtain.

Just get a good quality shower curtain, not a cheap flimsy one. We do not have any problems with water getting on the bathroom floor.

I was worried about the 48" shower because of the seat, but it worked out fine.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 8:46AM
lee676

Don't see why you couldn't use one of those UK shower trays if they'll ship one overseas - you may need an metric-to-US pipe thread adapter for the drain, but otherwise should work fine.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 9:31AM
kirkhall

@barbcollins--
What size shower pan/make of the shower pan is that one that replaced the full sized tub?

And, do you find that 2 people can shower in either of your setups?

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 12:05PM
barbcollins

@kirkhall - Yes we got it at Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-100655385/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=shower+pan&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202619404

Yes, two people could shower in either of those though the 48" one was a little tight.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 7:03PM
kirkhall

Thanks!

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 1:17AM
More Discussions
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
Kohler Elevance Tub - for disabled - gorgeous
Pretty new product from Kohler. anyone who is looking...
elphaba_gw
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
Originally posted in "Plumbing" I cannot...
rantontoo
shower pan worries. Is any of his method correct?
Unsure about my plumber's method. Could I get some...
mmaggied
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™