Getting hair off clothes in washer/dryer?

2ajsmamaApril 3, 2009

Short of brushing down every piece of clothing DD owns with a lint brush b4 putting it in the wash, how do I keep her hair from sticking to everybody else's clothes? I end up with hairballs in the washer and still have stuff coming out of the dryer with hair on them - DH is tired of having to pick it off his shirts and chinos!

We also have trouble with hair on the floor - carpets are OK, I don't have problem vacuuming it up (unlike my sister's hair, DD's is fine so never noticed it winding around roller brush, or my toes - and cutting off circulation!) But the tile and HW floors always have dust bunnies of hair around the baseboards - have to swiffer all the time. We even got a hairball stuck in wet paint low on the wall after painter came to touch up moving dings - now I have to skim and sand, repaint that area. DD just sheds like crazy!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stir_fryi

I would like to know the same thing except for cat hair. After I wash and dry my sheets there are still little clumps of fur on it.

PS: When my DD sheds too much I know it is time for haircut. Even just a trim will help.

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 2:50PM
2ajsmama

She just had a trim - hair is just to her shoulder blades now. DH keeps asking her if she wants her summer buzz cut when DS gets his!

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 3:13PM
groomingal

I used to be a dog groomer so lots of hair came home with me. I always give clothes a gentle shake before tossing them in the wash. Make sure the lint trap in the dryer is cleaned after each load. Toss in a microfiber cloth (I use the dishtowel size) and this will help trap any loose lint/strings/hair that are still on the clothes.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 11:12PM
2ajsmama

Do you wash the microfiner cloth with the clothes or just throw it in the dryer (afraid it will burn if it's dry - I always air-dry them after washing b/c I'm afraid they'll shrink)? Thanks.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 11:30PM
groomingal

I just toss mine in the dryer but I have run with the wash before. I don't worry about them shrinking. I buy the cheap dishtowel kind and cut them in 1/4.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 3:19PM
seattlemike

We learned of the microfiber suggestion on this forum and have used it in our dryer several times so far. It really works well. Haven't used it in the washer, though.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 4:57PM
cathyreed

I always use the loopy side of Velcro to remove hair from my tub drain, so....when I made the mistake of drying my cat bed in the dryer, I used the self adhesive Velcro (loopy side) to cover an old medicine bottle. I tossed the medicine bottle into the dryer and ran it for a short while. It did grab much of the cat hair, but not all.

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 1:33PM
jannie

I use a combination of things in my clothes dryer-I use one dryer sheet (any brand) plus "dryer balls", They are 2 plastic balls, like tennis balls but covered with points. They make noise bouncing in the dryer but keep the lint down. I had a huge lint problem when I accidentally washed a load of laundry with one of my husband's used Depends .(Luckily it was wet not soiled0 Tiny white paper balls ended up on everything. I found the dryer balls in a local hardware store. Plus I and my 2 daughters all have longish hair, plus one dog and 2 cats to add to the mix. Good luck finding a solution!

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 8:22AM
jannie

I also read online that re-washing an item with vinegar added to the washer will help. You might want to try adding a little vin. to your laundry.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
hard water marks on glasses
Can anyone tell me how to clean hard water marks from...
MIStepMom
shower doors nightmare
Hello there. My boyfriend is about to sell his house,...
vacuumfreak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™