So what are my options -- neoangle...

mahatmacat1April 16, 2012

UGH. There's no way around it. We have to do it in our last bathroom. I'm thinking maybe a 40 x 40--it's 38 x 38 now. Would you all mind sharing your best ideas re whether going with a frameless glass enclosure is asking for leak trouble, whether I can keep the drain in the same place if I enlarge the pan, if I do the preslope myself, whether it's worth it, whether there are any premade tile-ready bases for my size, or whether I can cut, say a 48 x 48 down *and* cut a 45 across one corner (don't think so, can I?)

I'm so not able to get enthusiastic about this shower. The tile will be fun, but doing the base, and worrying about the leaking...

what would be your choices in this situation, given that I just can't see a way around it, given the dimensions we're dealing with? Thanks so much in advance for any help or enthusiasm you can share : ) I wish this bathroom would just do itself. It's the *last thing* to do in the house-we're finishing up the pantry and my study, and then we'll have made a sensible place of this remuddled Oregon agate in the rough : )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

40x40 is certainly better than 38x38 as long as it doesn't crowd you at the toilet or sink. However, that will be a custom project involving moving the drain and creating your own pan. However, since you can't muster much enthusiasm for the project and if this isn't a prime used bath,I'd probably just leave it the size it is and see about using off the shelf components for the most part, save for a bit of your interesting trademark tile for the wall. 38x38 is quite acceptable (and a stock size!) as a shower unless it's a master.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 12:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mahatmacat1

thanks, live wire oak. I think you're probably right -- I shouldn't go for the extra space -- just deal with a 38x38 and focus on the pretty stuff : ) It's definitely used more as a powder room than a shower room, although guests use the shower.

Now I just have to get advice about how to do the glass part the least badly. I know neoangles are a bear wrt leaks if we want to get a frameless...and I do, because I really don't like the cheap feel of the framed enclosure that's there now. Thanks again for talking sense into me : )

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
Quality Pocket Door Frames?
(Please accept my apology for the duplicate post -...
ahmnj
American Standard Town Square Toilet
Does anyone here have the American Standard Town Square...
Andrea Dietel
if studs are 16' apart, can i have a 24' medicine cab recessed?
can the builder recess a medicine cabinet wider than...
srg215
Marble bathroom question?
I am a lurker on this forum and have learnt a lot from...
sokool1
extra tile decisions
It turns out I have more grey crackle tile than I needed...
edwina 1330
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™