Hardieplank vs. RealSide

geeta007March 14, 2013

Has anyone out there used RealSide? I know all the advantages of Hardie, but my GC asked me to take a look at RealSide from Woodtone ( because I really liked the idea of wood -- my last question here was cedar vs. Hardie, Hardie won). I'm leaning Hardie unless I hear from folks here that RealSide would be better....

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Bridget Helm

i LOVE hardie. they have it in smooth or with the wood grain. both look nice depending on the style of the home. it NEVER mildews or gets dirty etc. it's great!

I've never heard of RealSide. it may be a good product, but I'm certain that you can't go wrong with hardie. the contractors here are very pleased with it. it's very popular in South Louisiana

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 4:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

It is always difficult to find out how these products are made but I think RealSide is Spruce-Pine-Fir grade wood with a factory applied Borax containing primer and finish paint to make it an acceptable substitute for cedar clapboards at a lower cost. Of course, it's only as good as the process used to make it.

It's certainly worth researching, especially for the person installing it.

I've never understood why imitation wood clapboard siding would have a simulated wood grain. Raised grain in real wood clapboard siding would be a sign of lower quality and could even encourage the growth of fungus/mildew in some climates and exposures.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
House Looks Small Framed?!
our home is 3200 ft.², by no means small in my opinion....
23meghan
Need help with 8' porch drop-off
I'm needing ideas for terracing steps from my front...
Beth LaPenna
The movers are scheduled, now what to do?
We called our movers and they will be here on the 16th....
aimless07
Well Water
For those of you with well water only. What systems...
Renee0829
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™