Cleaning Stainless Steel Gas Range Top

clagaApril 6, 2012

Hi,

We have a GE Cafe' natural gas range top with stainless steel top around the burners. The stainless steel around the burners is discoloring and turning brown like it has been overheated.

I have tried to clean it with soap and warm water on the blue mildly abravsive side of a sponge.

With no luck at all.

I don't want to go the the green abrasive because I am afraid I might scratch the steainless steel.

Any idea's?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azzalea

Oh, be very, very careful about using even a mildly abrasive sponge or cleaner on GE's aluminum. My husband cleaned the front of our Advantium with a 'safe' scrubby, only a month or two after we got it (back when they were going for about $1200), and left it horribly scratched--something I've had to live with for the past 12 years!

Have you tried using a baking soda paste on it? Let it sit for a bit, and wipe with a soft cloth--baking soda is non-abrasive, and usually does the job for me, for so many different cleaning tasks, that it's the first cleaning product I reach for.

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 10:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mailfox7

I just use Easy Off oven cleaner (no fume in the blue can). Spray it on and give it a few hours and that stuff wipes right off with a sponge.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
shower doors nightmare
Hello there. My boyfriend is about to sell his house,...
vacuumfreak
Has anyone tried Green Works?
I see Costco has Green Works. DH and I are planning...
myclementine
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
hard water marks on glasses
Can anyone tell me how to clean hard water marks from...
MIStepMom
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™