Duct Cleaning

dorry2April 5, 2011

Has anyone had their ducts cleaned and is it really worth it? Does it make a huge difference in the air quality, etc? We have been in our home ten years, have never had duct cleaning in previous homes, and am wondering if it is worht $1500??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krissie55

If you keep the a/c filters changed on regular basis, I see no need in having ducts cleaned. However, if the ducts have come apart in the attic any place, then, dirt, etc can get into the ducts.

I have lived in our house since 1965 and have never had ducts cleaned.

Is the ceiling around the vents clean or have dirty look around them? If ceiling is dirty then ducts are not clean and/or ac has a problem, or mold has formed due to a leak from ac.... if ac is in the attic.

One way to test and see if ducts are dirty, put a/c filter fiber over vents and see if they become dirty. The filter fiber looks like quilt batting but is intended for ac vents. Not sure whether polyester quilt batting would put a strain on the ac or not.

Only time I used filter fiber was when we bought allergy special filters and the mfg. sent vent fiber to put over vents before using allergy filters. The fiber did not get dirty.

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 1:45PM
msi9670

duct cleaning is more over rated than miele vacuums

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 4:53PM
SharperClean

Most people are now aware that indoor air pollution is an issue of growing concern and increased visibility. Many companies are marketing products and services intended to improve the quality of your indoor air. You have probably seen an advertisement, received a coupon in the mail, or been approached directly by a company offering to clean your air ducts as a means of improving your home's indoor air quality. These services typically � but not always � range in cost from $450 to $1,000 per heating and cooling system, depending on the services offered, the size of the system to be cleaned, system accessibility, climatic region, and level of contamination.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 12:45AM
More Discussions
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
Has anyone tried Green Works?
I see Costco has Green Works. DH and I are planning...
myclementine
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Sponsored Products
Black Garden Tile Rug
$24.99 | zulily
Rizzy Home Vermilya Fredo Outdoor Pillow - 22 x 22 in. - TFV019
$32.00 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Equinox Rust and Green 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Kraus Virtus Single Lever Bas-inch Faucet/ Pop Up Drain withOverflow
Overstock.com
Rayne Mirrors Jovie Jane R011T Brown Linning Tall Wall Mirror
Beyond Stores
Raine Sofa - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Hand-carved Contemporary Geometric Shapes Black/ Red Area Rug (7'10 x 9'10)
Overstock.com
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home and Garden Bouquet Ivory 5' 3" x 7' 5"
$99.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™