Is it possible?

rboyz2March 21, 2012

to build a 32 foot wide house with 5 bedrooms, with walk in closets, a large kitchen, and a bonus room. We have an opportunity to build a house on the intercoastal waterway, but the lots are only 42 feet wide (234 ft deep)with 5 foot set backs on each side. At one time these lots were being purchased for $400,000. We can now purchase one for around $65,000. We have 3 kids and don't want to have small bedrooms. I think the resell value will be better on the waterway. The community also has lots that are twice as wide we could purchase on a man made lake, the lots are about 1/4 acre. We live on an acre now. It is difficult to find a 32 ft wide house plan with 5 bedrooms. These houses are 3 stories. We would like to build a 6000 sq ft home. Around 4900 htd sq ft. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gaonmymind

I think it's possible...I have seen bigger on smaller lots! Talk to a builder or local architect. They may know better and can help with local codes. If nothing else it will be free information so you can make an informed purchase. also water property always has good resale IMHO.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 12:19PM
aidan_m

I love designing within space constraints. Form follows function. This is definitely possible. Think about a long hallway with 2 bedrooms on each side. The rooms can be as long as you like by 11' wide. You could do jack/jill bathrooms for each pair of bedrooms, and another half-bath at one end of the hall. Allow 8' width for the hallway. The wide hallway has plenty of room to create closet space, study nooks with desk, and built in's for books. The wide hallway performs quite well as a multi purpose area. If possible, put skylights down the hallway. This would be the upper level of the home.

The main level of the home can be the kitchen, great room, master.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 12:54PM
mydreamhome

Have you tried searching for 'beach house plans'? That may bring you better & more results. Here's a few I found...

http://www.coastalhomeplans.com/plan-detail-363.php#floorplans

http://www.coastalhomeplans.com/plan-detail-175.php

http://www.coastalhomeplans.com/plan-detail-848.php

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
Would love some feedback on the schematic design of our home
My wife and I are first time builders and would love...
Shane Sherman
Should I add a window in the dining room?
We are going to have a long narrow dining room, husband...
Bridget Howe
getting close to our move in day
Moving in about two weeks, got a lot of things to do...
joerallen
Custom floor plan vs. customizing a stock plan
This is my first post here and I'm so glad to have...
liv2tell
Builder Error Caused Fire
My wife and I moved into our brand new home this past...
drewou
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™