Tile pattern in my bathroom

yuki-chanApril 14, 2013

I am redoing my small/narrow bath (a little less than 5' x 11'). I was thinking of using the same 12'x24' tile on the floor and the far wall, and a different size and color tile on the side walls of the shower area. I wanted to do horizontal subway pattern running the width of the room on the floor and wall so it looks continuous. But because the room is so small, it only fits 2 (ish) tiles across, so I was thinking of doing a herringbone pattern on the floor but keep the horizontal subway pattern on the wall.

Would this clash too much? Since the whole purpose of using the same tile is to make the room feel larger than what it actually is. Any pictures, suggestions and comments would really help. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abfabamy

Sorry, your link doesn't work. But I think that wouldn't look good to have two different patterns of the same large tile in such a small area. But I don't see the problem of running them the first way you mentioned. Continuing them onto the wall from the floor would look good even though the tiles are big for the floor.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 8:49AM
raehelen

I think that could be a neat look in a small BR. But why not just have the large tiles laid in a soldier pattern, ie lined up straight, like in your inspiration photo? We are also doing 12 X 24 tiles in a small BR, and after playing with layout, and restrictions made by using large format tiles, ie you cannot use them in a normal subway pattern due to lippage problems, have decided to lay them straight, centering one whole tile, and using ~3/4 of a tile on each side. Uses up a lot more tiles this way, but I think the look will be much cleaner and more attractive (that's the plan anyways...LOL).

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
Final Decisions - Lighting and Countertop - "Spa-Like" or "Dreary"?
We have been in the middle of a very long & drawn-out...
AHMIowa_NJ
Help me finish designing bathroom
Need a little help and to ask if you think I'm heading...
fourhappy
Grout experts, Fusion Pro, Kerapoxy, Spectralock, Bostik?
Or Tec Power grout? I'm trying to choose something...
happyallison
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™