how to remove odor from Rubbermaid container?

amy_z6_swpaMarch 29, 2006

My husband left a container of leftover cooked sauerkraut in the fridge for about a month. (we keep our fridge very cold so the kraut did still smell like kraut, not rotten-smelling) He threw the contents away yesterday, and I washed the container today. Although it is clean now, it still reaks strongly of the kraut. What can I soak it in to get rid of the odor? Any tips?? It's a nice container...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dian57

Crumple up a few pieces of newspaper (black and white, not color) and put the lid on. Leave it a few days. I remember this from a Tupperware party I attended years ago.

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 6:51AM
donnajeanne

If the newspaper alone does not work, try unused coffee grounds.

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 7:42PM
parrot_phan

I've soaked stinky plastic containers in borax (Borateem) and hot water to de-odorize them. It worked pretty well.

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 10:40AM
amy_z6_swpa

Thanks everyone! I put a large crumpling of newspaper in there and left it for the past three weeks or so. I just removed the paper tonight, and I'd say 80-90% of the odor was literally transferred into the newspaper. It was pretty cool. But the odor is still slightly detectable in the container. So I might try throwing some coffee in there since I have an old packet of unused grounds that I won't be using to drink...

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 9:04PM
Joy_CA

Amy, as long as the newspaper worked as well as it did, try using fresh paper, maybe it will remove more of the odor.

If you try the coffee grounds and they don't work, try 1/2 a cup of baking soda (dry).

Let us know what works.

Joy

Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 10:21AM
amy_z6_swpa

OK thanks, Joy! The only reason I didn't add more paper was that I don't have any more. But I did grab another piece at work today. :)

Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 12:45PM
sue102

If those things just don't work, wash it in hot soapy bleach water. Let is soak for about 10 minutes. The bleach will kill any smell. Then run it through your dishwasher (top rack) to clean out the bleach smell. I've done it several times.
Sue

Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 6:49PM
jannie

How about a piece of charcoal?

Bookmark   April 13, 2006 at 11:34AM
quandary

I'm going to try some newspaper in my stinky Rubbermaid container. This forum is great! Amy, if you're still around, were you able to get the smell completely out?

Bookmark   July 18, 2006 at 8:24PM
amy_z6_swpa

Hi Quandary, yes I was able to with more newspaper & threw in some coffee too for the heck of it. My container has been back in business for some time now. :)

Thanks a ton for the tips, everyone! Sue I don't have a dishwasher but thanks!

Bookmark   July 19, 2006 at 8:20AM
More Discussions
shower doors nightmare
Hello there. My boyfriend is about to sell his house,...
vacuumfreak
hard water marks on glasses
Can anyone tell me how to clean hard water marks from...
MIStepMom
Has anyone tried Green Works?
I see Costco has Green Works. DH and I are planning...
myclementine
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™